tdg911

Oct 23, 2006
Today after riding I wanted to change the oil and the filter on an 07 CRF250R. All was going fine until I was replacing the oil filter cover. I followed the recommended torque setting to 9lb or 12 Nm.

I worked the top and bottom bolts of the cover equally and proceeded to torque the bottom bolt. I tightened the top bolt and low and behold the top bolt snapped on me (threaded portion snapped). If I take the bolt and line up to simulate where the head of the bolt is through the crankcase it looks like maybe 2 or 3/8's is screwed into the block.

I'll be bringing the bike in tomorrow to see about correcting this issue. What kind of complications does anyone think I'll have here. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened. Is it just a simple job removing the left crankcase, drilling the broken bolt and remove with an easy out? Any help is appreciated. :bang:

tdg911

Oct 23, 2006
problem solved, was able to back out the broken portion without using an easy out or removing the crankcase. Easy fix and luckily the local dealer had an extra bolt in stock!

Top Bottom