Need help re-assembling Power Valve on '96 300exc

Marko

Jan 21, 2002
I was hopeing there is someone out there that can assist me in re-assembling the Power Valve assembly on my '96 300exc. I had to tear it down and replace a number of parts.

The specific information I am look is how to determine the correct alignment of the gears between the control arm and the control shaft. (I was not able to mark the correct alignment when it was dis-assembled because the problem was caused by the retaining screws loosening and falling out. The gears had already become mis-aligned or chewed up.)

Thanks for any information anyone has.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How about this?

Attachments

• powervalve.jpg
    powervalve.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 346

Marko

Jan 21, 2002
That is helpful. If these images are from the shop manual, is there any information on how to determine where the teath on the gears are suppost to be?

(Also, the reason I don't get a shop manual is I just bought a 2001 300exc and I'll be selling this one soon.)

Thanks

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Check my gallery HERE I threw some bigger images out there and one with the setup text. Nothing about what position the gears go in but it looks like they only go on the shaft one way in the parts manual. If you need more info and can wait until Monday I can photocopy and fax all the pages that might be useful in setting it up.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Seems to me that the arm can only go on in one position.. Logically the valve would be in the closed ( down) postion at idle or dead engine and open (in the up position) at high RPM. Does this bike have the boost ports connected to the round gears? My 91 had them, I ground the teeth off the gears, for a little harder hit.. I also had one of those phillips head screws back out on the clutch side and make its way into the tranny. I found metal flakes stuck to the drain magnet.. I tore the engine down and found the rest in the tranny.. Took me a while to figure out just where the metal came from as it was smashed up pretty good.. On re-assembly I peened the edge of the screws.
I also seem to remember some very small marks on the gears ..

zilla

Oct 14, 1999
I think he's talking about the timing of the valves, or the relationship between the sub-valves and the main valve. If that's right...adjust the subs so they're open when the main valve is open, and vice-versa. Or did I (as usual) miss something here?:eek:

Marko

Jan 21, 2002
This is all very helpful information. Thanks.

The timing of the ports (gear alignment) is what I'm missing. I guess it does make since that when the main port is full open, so are the sub-ports. And when the main is full closed, so are the sub-ports.

Top Bottom