javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
Well the CR250 I took on a trade is slowly looking much better. Im trying to put the forks back on and am having 2 problems
1. On the 92-96 CR (Mines a 92) there is a line which marks where the top of the clamp should go. It's 0.4 inches down. I get both looking exactly the same but if I set the bike down the right (when facing the bike) fork doesnt touch the ground. Is this something I should worry about? It's not off by much, maybe a quarter inch.
2. I dont have, nor can I afford to buy, a torque wrench. My Clymer manual says to tighten the forktube pinchbolts to 22 inch pounds. Is this something that has to be on the nuts? or can I just wrench on it until I think it's gonna hold.. I'd rather not put forktubes in my eye sockets on the first jump so help here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Jason

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Out here in CA you can get loaner tools from any auto parts store. You might want to try and find some in your part of town.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The forks are different lengths but the axle bolt holes are in line-the the alloy bottom part that makes the forks appear different lengths-if they are lined up at the clamp it is ok.I dont use a torque wrench-just be sensible.

javo

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2002
OK Thanks for the advice.. Does anyone out there have a 92-94 CR 250? If so could you tell me exactly where the line thats .04 inches from the top of the tube should go on both.. The way it look in the book is exactly even with the top of the clamp. Just want to make sure..
Also,
I just went at lunch and bought front wheel berrings (2 pieces) the guy told me it was supe difficult to do without screwing up my hub.. I am hoping this isn't true and someone can give me a trick to get the old out and the new in..

Thanks again,
Jason

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Be easy on the fork tube clamp bolts, they are supposed to be around 20 ft/lbs. Use a short wrench so you won't get alot of torque outta it and tighten it down. Snug is good, they won't slide out but you don't want to overtighten and pinch the tube. You can get an inexspensive torque wrench on-line for around 20 bucks. Doesn't have to be a high dollar one for what you need, IMO.

And the mark is just for refference. The farther down the clamp you go, (Less space betweeen top of fork and upper clamp) the more stable your bike will be on straights but less corner capability. Get more space between clamp and top of fork tube get better cornering and less high speed stability. Play with it and see how you like it. A little space makes a big difference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom