Need help titling and registering a KDX in NJ

jmattkawi

Apr 25, 2008
I want to convert my 2006 KDX200 into a dual sport. I went to the DMV in NJ with the MCO, but on it it states "offroad use only." Therefore, they won't allow me to title it. Has anyone had success in converting the bike so that NJ will allow it to be registered? I just want to ride between trails.

kid1293

Feb 12, 2007
there is a kit you can buy to make it street legal with lights horn and brake light but i would ask one of the overly nice DMV employees if this can change the status of streetability.good luck and let us know,my 1990 was at one time regestered in ct.dont know how but it has lic. plate holes in it? p.s north or south n.j

jmattkawi

Apr 25, 2008
No luck at DMV yet.

Tried two different offices and I explained to them that I was converting it with a street legal kit. They still said they couldn't title it because of the "off road use" only on the MCO. Do all of the KDX's state that? Can I get a new MCO without that statement. I am in North Jersey, Morris County. Any DMV offices easier to use or more friendly?

drafdog

May 9, 2008
Recently I purchased a 1995 KDX200-- with California tags (yup-- California tags)

From asking around, I was told that off road bikes could be converted if they were manufactured before 2003 because they came from the factory with a title (thus it could be registered with the dmv) After 2003 dirt bikes were issued MCO's.

If people want to convert newer bikes, they have to apply for a special construction title.

Top Bottom