Need help tuning rear shock

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
So I changed out my front springs to .40's from a buddys XR. Everything up front is great. However, the back is kicking me off now. I've never dialed in a suspension before and am not sure were to start. I turned the rear shock clicker from its current setting all the way to the left and counted 6 clicks. I'm 180lbs gear and all. Where should I start/what should I do? Thanks :worship:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
There is a lot of stuff here:

http://www.motocross.com/motoprof/moto/mcycle/suspen.html

Also check on the Ohlins website for more info:

http://www.ohlins.com

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Jeremy (mx-tech) used to have a write up on slow bumps, fast bumps, braking bumps, rebound settings, compression settings, into corners, out of corners..etc etc. Try mx-tech.

Any google search regarding suspension and motorcycles will get you tons of info..a lot of it looks like it came from the same place.

The first thing you need to do is set your sag. Clicker adjustment before that is done is a waste of time.

You've done that?

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Did you only try adjusting the compression screw? There is also a rebound adjustment, one's at the top and the other is at the bottom of the shock. Slowing down the rebound might help you out. But as CC said, setting the sag is very important.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Did it kick you from being too resistant to movement, or from bottoming out? If you don't know then have someone watch the rear end (from the side) while you hit the bump (or land from a jump). If its bottoming then the compression adjuster needs to be set stiffer. Otherwise it needs to be set softer.

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
I adjusted the top rebound on the shock. I left the clicker on the position it was at. Everything seemed fine. The bike worked more than I did this past ride. That made me happy! Hopefully this thread will serve someone else some use. I should have started messing with it before I posted. Oh well.

Click the link to my user gallery to view the suspension in action. :)

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Hey dude, adjusting the rebound won't keep the rear end from kicking you in the butt. It only affects how slowly the rear wheel will return to its normally extended position. The compression adjustment is what affects how fast or slow the rear wheel moves upward when hitting a bump or landing.

GREER RACING

Jun 27, 2002
Hey Dead,
I have a work sheet that sort of simplifies suspension adjustments. Might help with what you need. Let me know your e-mail address and I can send it as an attachment.

Gary

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
3 1/4" (say 83mm) isn't generally considered where sag should be. Sure, where it 'should be' is up to you...but you might reconsider that setting.

90mm is usually on the 'less' side of sag. My bike at 95mm is a stinkbug ride that doesn't work at all! Certainly, imo and all that.

re: rebound adjust and butt-kicking.

Guess it depends on the description. Too little rebound will indeed do some butt-kicking..as the rear comes back too fast! It will take the rear tire clean off the ground. That's not a good thing.

Starting with: 'I adjusted the top rebound on the shock. I left the clicker on the position it was at.' I'm nonplussed. You either adjusted the rebound (..via the clicker) or you didn't ('..left the clicker..' where it was at).

Which clicker are you calling 'rebound', which 'compression'? (No, I'm not saying...I want to hear it from you.)

Start with sag. Set it to at least 95mm, preferably 100mm for woods riding unless you have a specific reason/purpose for the 83mm setting.

Are you figuring free sag in with that number? Tell me what free sag is.

Something isn't right...and it likely can be 'fixed'...but relevant input is required.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom