Need help with KIPS!!!

grump99

Aug 7, 2003
Hi everyone. I have a 1991 kdx 200 which I just purchased. When I took the cylinder off to examine the powervalve, the gears on the two sub-ports were sheared off and the valves themselves were siliconed into the low rpm position. I know this model year is plauged with KIPS failures. My question is, if I clean everything and replace the valves, how long before I see another failure? I am not an aggressive rider, am I better off leaving the valves glued in place. The bike seems to run ok as is. Also, I can not seem to remove the center valve, I think it should just pull out but it doesn't. The center valve does not seem to work either. One last question, is there a better place to buy parts other than my local dealer? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Tony

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Let your bike be all that it can be! I wouldn't say that they are plagued with failures... my brother has a 90 model and still has the original setup and works just fine! It just needs routine mantenence like any KIPS. Just bite the bullet and get it right and you will be much happier. As far as I know... your dealer is the best place to get the parts, unless he overcharges for parts. I don't think there is any real discount Kawasaki parts dealers out there.... but who knows... I may be wrong.

250RDude

Feb 23, 2003
Been there, done that. My 90KDX had a sheared kips valve (three pieces) & alot of carbon & GOO. I plastic Media blasted the head & cylinder (Steel Sleeve) to clean it up. The local dealers wanted an arm, leg & left N@% for parts. These guys

http://www.beartoothkawasaki.com

Had the best prices I could find. :yeehaw: I saved 20% over my local dealers & that included shipping. After assy. I couldn't believe the difference in performance. Its been over a year now with no problems but I think it's time to pull it down & check'em. It's only a couple gaskets and a few hours worth of labor but the peace of mind on the trail is worth it. I think an annual inspection should be adequate for reliability on the KIPS system. Good luck on the Ride. :thumb:

Marsh

Feb 26, 2004
I also bought my '90Kdx with both Kips valves in pieces and a mess.
I changed things out and she rips now.

But. What causes the valves to self-destruct like that? It almost looks like the bottom halves seize while the top is still trying to be moved as the rpm comes up and they snap. What do yous think?

If that's kinda the way, then a good rule of thumb would be to rip the jug off and clean out the carbon and spooge build up every year or so.

Thoughts?.........

harryhuia

Nov 7, 2003
I think ( not sure ) its the oil you use, bad quality oil=lots of spooge & carbon, really good quality oil=less spooge & carbon.

my thoughts,,

Ben

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Make sure you buy the collars awell
92143A 92143-1147 COLLAR,VALVE 3
The inner hole goes oval and causes the exhaust valves to bind.
12005A 12005-1121 VALVE-EXHAUST,LH 1
12005B 12005-1122 VALVE-EXHAUST,RH 1

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…