Need help with XR250R Gear Shifter

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Hi everyone, I have a 1991 XR250R and before I got the bike I bought all of my gear and I don't have a problem with any of the gear except for my Alpinestar M4 boots, I can't get them to go under my Gear shift, Its really hard and I have to look down and then slide the toe of my boot under the gear shifter, My question is:Is there anyway to move the Shifter up some so that my boots will fit under them with no hassle? I hate to think that I paid for my boots and I don't even get to wear them, My Gear Shifter is just down to close to the foot peg and I have to take my boot all of the way off of the peg and then turn them and then slide them under and by doing that it only gets the very edge of my boot under it, Please help if you can, Thanks Matt,Hopefully I will be getting a 250 MXer before to long, I am talking 2-stroke like a Suzuki RM250, THanks again Matt

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Mat, take a close look at the shifter. There should be a bolt on the back side that pinches the shifter around the shaft. take the bolt out, remove the shifter (may have to pry a little) rotate the shifter a little and reinstall.

Should take about 15 minutes.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Thanks Rodzilla for that information, I had looked at the shifter before I even typed the thread and I saw what you are talking about and I thought thats how you did it, I just wanted to make sure from the professinals like yourself, BTW will rotating the shifter make it harder to shift into the next gear? Or will I just have to do the same thing but just click it up higher than I do now? Thanks again Rodzilla for that reply,Matt

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey, I encountered a very similar situation with a friend (and his xr100) last weekend. He had gotten new boots for christmas, but he hadn't worn them because he couldn't get his foot under the shifter...I took the shifter off, but when I tried to reinstall it in a higher position, it hit the crakcase cover. I remembered on my xr100 I had to buy a new shifter that extended more to the left to clear the cover. To make a long story short, try reinstalling it higher, but if it doesn't work, buy an MSR shifter with the right bend. Hope that helps

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I started writing before you could ask those last two questions. Moving the shifter won't make it harder to shift gears. Also you won't really need to click higher if you're wearing the boots because of their size...but the shifter will start out and end higher, if that's what you're asking.

-chilly

Jan 8, 2002
Hi XR400,

If you're having problems shifting while sitting, remember to lift you heel off the peg and lift your leg to shift, per Gary Semics. This is the technique I use and it helps a lot.

My new Sidi boots are causing me problems also. I don't have any reall feel for when the back brake locks up like my old boots. The right boot starts to really dig into my foot right above the instep after 50 miles of riding. These aren't the new Toa-Force, but thier older style Trail Master. I cheaped out and I'm paying the price.

See ya,
Carl

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Thanks everyone for the replies, YZeater I will try moving the shifter up and if it doesn't fit I will get the MSR one, I am going to wait untill my dad has time to help me with it that way if I mess something up it won't be my fault you know what I mean? How much does the MSR shifter cost and where is the best place to order it from? I really like RockMountainMC.com. This is where I bought my Gear from and some other stuff and I like there prices but I want the cheapest price I can find, So thanks again Matt

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by XR400RMan
I just wanted to make sure from the professinals like yourself,

Boy I got you fooled;) ;)

When you first get boots, there is a learning curve. It takes a few rides to get the feel of them. Be careful and don't go too high or you will find you have trouble shifting when you are standing.

Rod

Top Bottom