XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Hey guys,
I think I have a serious problem with my 1991 Honda XR250R. I have the Top-End off right now so I was sitting on the bike with my knew Boots on and was seeing how they felt while in riding position. So I forgot that the Transmission does not have any oil in it and I just clicked the shifter from Neutral down to first gear and now the shifter will not move up anymore. Is this serious? What is involved in fixing and how much money is probably going to take? Is it because there is no oil in the transmission? Will the transmission need to be split? Thanks Matt. Please hurry and help me,ITs really got me scared. Thanks again Matt

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
That's a tough one. I can't imagine why it would freeze up like that. Not having any oil should not cause any problems for just the one shift. Nor should having the top end apart cause any problem with the tranny. It sounds like it kinda wedged itself up. Did it feel like it went into gear or did it freeze up half way? Is your crank/piston free to be moved? If so try turning your rear wheel, easily, back and forth and see if you can free it up.

I'm no tranny expert, so I can't tell you much else. I don't think you could have done much damage. Unless the damage was already done on your last ride, and it just no broke. Good luck.

pitmole

Nov 10, 2001
probably just trapped the camchain on the crank sprocket or just needs the gearbox turning to shift back again. can't see it doing any damage just by shifting with no oil and no motor running!

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Hey thanks for the replies guys, I told my dad when he got home and he said that it probably just wedged up. So he went out and wiggled the camchain and crankshaft and then moved the rear wheel and it clicked up to 2nd gear and he put back into 1st,Then Neutral. I told him what you guys said and thats exatly what happened. He said his old 350 used to do that and he would have to rock it back and forth and it would be fine. Thanks again guys,I can finely breathe again. Thanks Matt

Top Bottom