MattXR250R

Oct 21, 2002
Hey everyone,Let me kinda explain my background so you will kinda know a little bit. I started riding around 3 years or so ago. I started on an XR250R..which I rode for around 2 years and then bought a 96 CR250R which I really like but want to get a new bike now and sell my 96 while I can still get a little out of it. I have went back and forth between getting another 250 2-stroke to trying to decide if I want a 250 2-stroke,250F,450F. I have never rode a new MX 4-stroke. I was leaning more towards a 4-stroke. But now kinda leaning more towards getting another 2-stroke. I just am not sure though. If I get another 250 2-stroke I really have my eyes set on a KTM 250SX.

From what the mags said I think it was the 03 that had such a hard hit some PROS didn't like it. Is the 04 like this or have they tamed it down a bit? My 96 CR250R does not hit hard at all. Not to me anyways. Do any of you recommend a Jap bike over the KTM? I have never had a bike with a linkless rear suspension.

The other 2502-stroke I looked at next down from the KTM was the 04 KX250. Any help would be appreciated. Deciding on what to get is not easy. Want to make sure I get the right bike.

MattXR250R

Oct 21, 2002
Sorry,I forgot to post what type of riding I do. 95% of my riding so far has been trails. But yesterday I went to a MX track and video taped some of my friends and man..looks like a total blast..I have been on some tracks..did a few SMALL doubles and really want to get into MX..although I will still ride trails to. But will probably try and get to the track every saturday or so with my friends.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Yes they tamed the 04 down. It makes less power than the 03. and is smoother, easier to ride. The suspension takes some time and money to set up. The jap bikes have better stock suspension, so if you want a bike that works off the showroom floor by a jap bike. The RM and yz are the two best stock bikes. The kx is not bad just down on power and suspension is not dialed in as good as the other jap bikes.

zorlac_147

~SPONSOR~
Jan 31, 2001
I am very happy with my 04 250 sx. It has the best power of any 2 stroke I have ridden. The suspention really is not all that bad at all. It depends on your weight and riding style. I am looking into a revalve on mine but we'll see. It is my first KTM so I am still trying to sort out the setup procedure. It is a very nice bike with all the extras. even if you decide to have the suspention re-worked you will still be ahead of the game as long as you get a good price. Heck I even got a free X box with mine!

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
The KTM suspension is not that bad and would be more than enough for someone who has ridden on a track one time. The motor is still a rocket and will plane smoke your current ride. It already comes with most of the trick stuff on it so it is ready to go out of the box. Pipe, V-Force Reeds, hydrolic clutch, brembo brakes ect. It is so much better stock than a stock 04 KX250 it is not even funny. Buy a KTM and you will never buy a Jap bike again, ok maybe a Honda CRF450.

Last edited:

velosapiens

Mar 18, 2002
for trail riding and occasional mx, the ktm250sx is an ideal bike. i race mine in enduros, and it is fast, comfy, light, and easy to ride. search on '04 250sx' at ktmtalk, and you'll find a bunch of threads about it.

for pure mx, you might be better off with a yz250 or crf450, but i think the ktm is a pretty darn nice bike. i paid $4800 otd for mine, brand new.
mw

Top Bottom