BODYMANDDT

May 22, 2003
I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REINSTALL THE KICKSTART SPRING WHEN I PULLED THE CASING OFF THE KICK START ROD CAME OUT SO I NEED TO REINSTALL & PUT THE SPRING IN THE PROPER PLACE. CAN ANYONE HELP? THANKS

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I assume that the ass'y has allowed the spring to come unhooked from the dog (that is the square protrusion on the kick shaft) this needs to be rewound enough to make enough return pressure to get the kick starter home when assembled. I will try to do this from memory so I may forget something so don't follow this exactly.

I guess the first thing you need to do, is: Buy a repair manual or;
1. go to powersportspro.com and register your bike.
2. Go to the partsfish section and locate your kickstart mechanism.
3. Thuroughly familiarize yourself with the parts involved. Such as sequence of assembly etc.
find the loop "spring" that sticks out towards the engine. It should be inserted into the recess at the top of the hole that the shaft inserts into when you place the ass'y back into the case.
4. make sure you have the white plastic "bushing" inserted inside the spring on the kick shaft.
5. Using a small screwdrive rewind the spring one revolution in the counterclockwise direction and hook it on the shaft "dog". When it is done right the kick gear will be pushed all the way towards the center of the engine. If you don't rewind it far enough it will not return the kick lever "home" when assembled.
6. When installing the kick shaft into the case you will have to watch carefully to see that the loop fits into the recess. it's hard to see because you have to tilt the whole ass'y to get the gear to clear the other gear before you insert it into the housing.
7. (When doing this step, rember the hard stab at the kick starter is what causes the gear to lift and engage. So don't expect this to work easily when doing this by hand.) GENTLY..Slip on the kick lever a little way, CAREFULLY while holding in and up on the shaft with the kick lever try to move the kick lever as if trying to start the bike. If everything returns to "home" position then you have done good, and you can finish putting cover etc. on.
8. Be sure to clean and lube the outer end of the shaft before putting on the outside cover or it can damage the seal or bind in the housing.

I Hope I haven't babbled too much and confused you.
Good luck,
Jim

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Make sure all the parts are clean.. then lub up all sliding surfaces with transmission oil. Slide the kick gear ( with clip facing toward left side or in sdie ) onto kickstarter shaft. Next install the washer onto the shaft. then the sring with the long arm facing the left or end ( same direction as clip loop ). Then seat opposite spring arm into hole in the shaft. After install spring guide with it's notch facing spring... insert the notch over the spring arm that is fitted into the shaft. Spring is on then install.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
To install align the kick stop and the clip arm with the crankcase and install. You need to make sure the kick stop is seated in the groove in the case and that the clip arm is in the notch. Then turn the spring clockwise and and place the spring arm into the hole in the case. To check if it all ok place the kick start pedal on the shaft. hold the shaft in place and slowly push down on the pedal. The kick gear should slide and engage the idler gear. Let up on the pedal and it should move back into it's resting place if install right.

I hope this helps.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom