wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Thats interesting that they took the poll down but not surprising.......very good and thanks alot!

wardy

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Yes Thank you to everyone who was able to get their vote counted and those that tried. Looking at their past polls I can see they excel at very deep subjects- How are you fighting the heat? or Are you travelling for the 4th of July? As usual they want a poll that incites outrage or takes no thought.
Now lets put our concern to work and think about the injured rider IrishEKU can you share the info to send wishes to the family?

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode

I don't and here is my reason.

Parents need to accept responsibility and use good judgement instead of blaming others and forcing the government to impose restrictions.

Ivan

The age restriction won't accomplish anything anyway. The parents that let their five year old kid fly around on a 600cc quad aren't going to stop just because the law changes. The same type parents will still let these same kids get hurt.

Just yesterday I saw a kid that could barely straddle a HUGE quad, zipping around the riding area. This kid didn't have the strength to turn or stop the quad in an evasive situation. If the quad rolled over on him, he didn't stand a chance. Oh, to top things off; no helmet, shirt, shoes, or gloves and wearing shorts. :ugg:

ornagecrush

Nov 14, 2001
First of all i hope the kid has a full and speedy recovery.Just a couple of weeks ago a kid was killed here while riding his fathers quad when it rolled on him. I couldnt tell you how many times i have heard of kids riding through a barbedwire fence,it makes me want to beat the parents with the same wire the kids road through.As far as being on the same track together the idiot surely knew the kid was on it toand he should of shut it down till he got by the kid.If it took him 2 laps to get around him so be it.As parents we should tell our kids to hold there lines and let the guy pass.most of the time the track owners arent there to supervise the conditions so for the safety of our kids we need to let the idiots know that its not gonna fly.bottom line they are our kids and our resposbility. There were a few people at cooperland this weekend that were on the mini track sweattin the kids (uncool) most of the timewhen a kid hears a 250 screaming behind him he is gonna panic and do something stupid usually the opposite of what you told him to.I`m not saying to stay off the pee-wee tracks but wait for the kids to get off.The whole idea for the pee-wee track is for the kids safety

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
Maybe I'm not reading that article closely enough, but did this occur at a track or just playing around the house? If it did happen at a track, my suggestion would be to not allow ATVs on the track at the same time as bikes.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Here Ya go oldguy:talkto23@wifr.com
I would like to send my heart felt wishes to your child and those of your family in your time of grief and wishes for a speedy recovery of your child.

As a rider (Dirt Bikes) I know the risks involved with operating machinery, especially ATV's. I hope that this incident doesn't affect your views of these machines. I have lost friends in the past to accidents on bikes and it saddens me that they died or gave it up but doesn't keep me from enjoying the sport I love.

Again my best wishes to you and your boy.

Respectfully,
Phillip K. Hathorn
Eastern Kentucky University
745 Brockton
Richmond, KY

Oldguy:
I tried to find an addy for the family and couldn't locate one. I just hope the station will foreward these wishes.

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have to disagree with you guys here, we do need ONE more law. It makes it illegal for stupid people to breed! It's been said before, you need a license to drive etc..., but you can breed with no testing at all. :|

DirtBiknDame

Jul 1, 2002
I was too late too. :( It angers me to think that other people (usually non off-road people) want to tell me when I can let MY kid ride a bike. I have a two year old son and as soon as he can ride a bicycle, we are buying him a dirtbike (probably at 4 years old).

If you like (or dislike) that poll, you should see the one on www.highdesert.com . They want to ban dirtbikes (and all off road vehicles) from the high desert! So far it's 90% NO and I think 8% yes. There is an enviro-nazi that writes for the Hesperia Star and he hates off-roaders. He's pushing to do something in the dez to get rid of us all. I think we have him out numbered :aj: If you get a chance, vote on this one too :D

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My take on kids starting out on dirtbikes is this:
Age has nothing to do with it whatsoever. It is a matter of maturity, and motor skills.
Responsible parents have the task of determining whether or not their child has proper amounts of both before they should be allowed to undertake the responsibility of riding. My bet is that many anxious parents get many kids hurt.
Honda publishes a great tutorial for parents that have new riders. If every parent read and completely understood the implications that are explained in the manual, there would be far less injuries.

Parents also have the responsibility of providing proper training to their kids. Some parents have no business riding themselves, let alone trying to teach a kid to ride properly.

My prayers go out to the injured kids and their parents.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Jaybird's got it right!
I've seen kids under 5 who do very well on a minibike, and have also seen 18 year olds that have no buisness whatsoever being around anything -w- a gas engine in it.
Different people, different rules.
I started at age 9 and still remember my first ride (shudder) on that firebreathing Z50 -w- a stuck throttle running through my neighbors bushes. :scream:

Top Bottom