Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Need Jetting Suggestion # 6 Slide

Have an 03 KDX 200 with FMF woods pipe, PC sparky, V-Force reeds, air box lid opened up etc…Need a jetting
starting point for a # 6 slide..I have CEJ through CEM
needles and pilots 38-48, mains 148-165. I currently run a # 5
slide with 40pj..150mj..1174 c-1 w/93 pump gas and ride at 4-
6,000 feet 40-60F temps..The air screw didn't come into play until a 42pj was installed. Thinking CEL3..152MJ..40PJ as a start...Anyone with experience using a # 6 slide? Thanks

Domenic

Last edited:

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
I ground my stock slide to, and beyond, a #6 when I was neck deep into my jetting experiments. The #6 slide will make your just off idle running nice and crisp in comparison to the #5. I think your starting point should be pretty close to being crisp at the temps and elevations that you are talking about. If you want an even snappier bottom end try the DEL. If you develop a hesitation or flat spot just off idle when you snap the throttle open to WOT throw the air box lid back on and see what happens.

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Thanks for the insight..I put the lid back on the air box, opened up slightly, couldn't stand the noise. I'm going to experiment with the C taper needles first, then move on to the D's... :) See how the bike responds with the different tapers.

Domenic

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
My # 6 slide came today at 8:30 pm..slapped it back together and the throttle stays open about 1/3...noticed there's no cut-out in the bottom of the new slide like the old slide..some recess for a half moon casting around the nozzle.. :pissed: Any idea's? It seems to be a stock PWK35 not an AS model. Part came from SUDCO pn 018-512...Anyway running the # 5 and a CEM tomorrow in the hills...

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It 'seems' to be a stock PWK35? Is it the OEM carb? 018-512 is the correct number based on the diagrams on the Sudco site..for the Keihin PWK35.

I've had: 1. Considerable trouble ordering a modified slide for my PWK35, and 2. Considerable trouble getting the correct parts from Sudco.

I ordered a #7 slide twice..got the wrong one both times..before I ended up having an existing slide machined to what I wanted. That was not a Sudco deal.

I did order a handful of little carb parts from them just recently. I TOLD them it was an OEM KDX carb, some parts do vary between it and the 'standard' Keihin PWK. The sales guy assured me he knew what I was after...and sent me a handful of all the wrong stuff.

You might give them a call..verify that the right part is in the right bag.

I've attached a pic of a Keihin PWK (not an AS) that fairly well shows the relationship between the slide, the nozzle and the jet block height. That's a #7 slide.

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding the slide not fitting correctly.........

Attachments

• intake 1.jpg
    intake 1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 278

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
That nice little piece of tin around the base of the nozzle..In the bottom of the slide there's a recess for the points of the moon so that the slide will fully close..I'll take pictures later, just got home from 84 miles of goat trails. Had to lower the CEM to clip two, ran fairly well. Need a leaner slide or needle.
Thanks

THE SLIDE SHOULD HAVE RECESSES FOR THE GREENED THINGS? After I clean it tomorow, I'll take pictures of both slides

intake1.jpg

Last edited:

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Here's a picture of the stock # 5 slide on the LEFT
Sudco 018-512 # 6 on the RIGHT

Wrong slide? maybe for a air striker? Thanks

35MMSLIDE001.jpg

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Although the KDX 200H PWK35 carb is not an air striker it uses the air striker slide (throttle valve). The 018-245 is the proper #7 air striker that I used in my carb. The 018-513 (#7) was the first slide I ordered just to find out, like you did, that it will not work.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks Rhodester!!

Do you have this info in the KDX FAQ? Vital info!!

Man!!...THAT was as straight and to-the-point as you can get, 'eh?

I believe the AS jet block is set to a different height from the 'standard' PWK. I am not saying that's relative to the TV seating problem mentioned here..just something to keep in mind if you're comparing the two carbs.

This is another case (?) of Sudco steering a customer wrong? Seems so. If the point is made that it's a KDX carb..they should know there is a difference between it and the OEM PWK.

Domenic: Is Sudco going to resolve the problem for you? I'm sure they will.....

Good luck!

Domenic

Mar 22, 2003
Sudco said I needed to order a 018-243 for an air striker :bang: So I ordered an air striker from RB designs instead..A little christmas present for the bike.. :cool: This is a great forum for kdx owners!!..Thanks for all the help :)

Top Bottom