need new sprockets but what to get!

KiwiKDX250

Nov 15, 2005
hey guys i'm running 12/50 at the mo but there totally knacked so gotta buy me some new ones but should i stay at this 12/50 or change ? runs great on what it is... got heaps of low end dont really get high into the gears where i ride so may go lower maybe a 13/50 or 12/52? any ideas? new to bikes so any help would be cool btw its on a 92 kdx250

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
If you like the way she rides I wouldn't change a thing. If you are riding woods then go with steel sprockets they last for ever (I'm a big SunStar fan but you get what you pay for with sprockets and chains.). Pretty much change you chain and both sprockets at the same time (this makes for even wear and old chains when worn in will just eat the crap out of your new sprockets.) and go with a o-ring chain if you don't already (no x-rings, just got one and don't see the need to ever buy one again.). I'm running a 50 on my rear and that does the job nicely. tons of torque.

Huck1

Aug 3, 2005
Ive used talon and had great luck with them lasting almost as long as my steel, with the exception of getting a rock stuck in my chain guide and wearing a groove in the face of one. No biggy cosmetic only!

Good Luck

Last edited:

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
That is really it weight and wear of the sprocket are the only difference. I tried both and I got about a month of use with the aluminum, where I get a 2 1/2 to 3 months from the steel. Figure I ride every Sunday and sometimes on Saturdays. That site was down so I couldn't check it out but new sprockets (going off JT brand) $35 (rear 50) $10-15 (depending on 12 or 13 teeth for the front). Pretty cheap. Sunstar will run you around 50 for the back, 20-25 for the front. Never used JT so I don't know how the wear is. DID chains are real nice though and a good price. They have a O-ring that runs about 50 bucks (I usually spend about 80 or so). Figure the better your chain it won't wear out quick and lengthen your sprocket life because it stays nice and tight around the teeth. Hence why you always change out all 3 parts even if you only break one of those.

Brad1725

Sep 24, 2005
hey i am from auck and have the same bike, i would like a little more acceleration on mine cos i only seem to use 2nd gear, so i think i will go a little bigger on the back. good for wheelies on the road too

KiwiKDX250

Nov 15, 2005
hey brad go on trademe and have a look there a dude called "Mxdad" sells chain and sprockets and other gear at a fair price! i just bought me a set!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You do NOT always get what you pay for in the chain drive world.

Always remember that it is the chain elongating from wear that causes sprocket teeth to wear down and deform.
An aluminum alloy rear sprocket will last every bit as long as a steel sprocket will...as long as the chain is within safe running specifications.
The biggest difference between a steel and an alloy rear is, the steel will fight deformation of the teeth due to the stretched chain running on it, far longer than the aluminum alloy rear will.
Problem is, if your chain is a bit lengthened from wear...the hard steel sprocket, that fights deformation, will actually accelerate the death of the chain. And as a result, pass on this mismatch to the front sprocket and help kill it faster.
An aluminum alloy will let you know that you are in fact running a chain that is past safe running specifications.
Actually, as long as you kept an eye on the chain measurement and change it out before it reaches 2% elongation from new, you could run an alloy sprocket forever and a day...on several chains if need be.

StuckInJersey.
I feel pretty confident in saying that you are running your chain way too tight. In fact, if you wore out a steel rear in ~3 months I can just about guarantee it.
Every time you compress the shock you are helping to wear out that drive with a tight chain.
Now...if you swear that it is tensioned properly, then I would seriously look at my lubrication regimine.
What you are experiencing is NOT normal wear and there IS a root cause.

StuckInJersey said:
I just noticed a leak on my front sprocket as well. I'm ripping her apart tonight so I will tell you what I find. Although I do not think it's all that uncommon of a thing.
Another thing that is common when running too tight of chain drive.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom