Need some advice on my Ruts video..

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
http://media.putfile.com/Ruts-at-PC-4-22-06

My weak spot is mostly ruts and turns, so i went out last night at this local place to work on it. Trying to remember 10 things at once and do it correctly gets all confusing but it felt like by the end of the day i was getting the hang of it. I want to go back there again tonight for a couple hours and work on it more hopefully with some advice on to what i should focus on more.

I have been riding for 6 months, and out of those 6 months i have been injured for 2 with a broken shoulder blade so i dont have much seat riding, but practice practice practice, right?! :)

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Looks ok, try running them a little faster each time until you feel your as fast as you can get,put all your wait on the outside peg, lean forward,elbows out and gas it!! As long as there's a rut you can realy put some speed in it because the rut makes your bike stick good when you lay it in there!!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I would concentrate on trying to stay in the rut when making the left hand turn, it looks like you pop out of it everytime. Other than that, you're looking pretty good. You go way faster than I do in ruts.

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
i worked on them today and you are right my left side is much weaker than right. I started doing the right side first and seemed like i was twice as good as i was yesterday. then i tried doing going left and crashed to time in a row haha. Then after i walked it off i was ready to keep going, and i now worked on looking ahead more instead of trying to aim the whole way through... and it worked much better. Worked on the outside peg more as well, elbows up, etc etc.. takes lots of work

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Nice spinout!!!! Keeping your weight hard on the out side peg will help alot. Having a well prepped track helps to(looks very dry and hard packed!! Looks like a pretty smooth track(your doing great on your singles!!!

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
I just happened to have finished one of the Gary Semics videos I have on turning in ruts, so here's what I could see:

Before entering the corner, you should be standing up, weight back. As you enter, sit down / slide your butt forward while keeping your arms fairly straight. As you accelerate, lean your upper body forward.

You should ride the brakes in until about 1/2 way into the rut. Right before (or at the same time) getting on the gas, that's when your foot comes off the peg and you release the brakes.

On righthanders, your toe should modulate the brake while your heel isn't touching the peg. That allows you to get your butt far enough forward and still use the brake.

Weight the outside peg whenever possible, keep your elbows up.

Not that I can really do any of the above with any real expertise, but that's what Gary's video says.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
The left handers look like you need to lean the bike more, and keep it leaned all the way through the turn. That momentum is carrying you way to the outside and slowing you down. Keeping the bike leaned will keep it on the inside and allow you to get through the turn faster. Also, it looks like you're coasting quite a bit before the turn, rather than charging it hard and then braking to setup the speed you want to enter at.

Looks like your approach is good, on the outside of the turn creating a nice smooth line.
Just my 2 cents...

jlsx125

May 8, 2006
well basically you suck.... you need way more practice, and i'd be embarrased if i was you that i put that up so everyone could see.

Top Bottom