psdan000

Mar 7, 2009
hey guys, this is my first post here on the forums. I am new to the two-stroke world and need some help. Yesterday i picked up a 98 RM125 from a buddy. i got it for next to nothing but it needs some work. heres a list of things wrong

-it will not idle, and bogs down when i give it too much throttle, im guessing a carb issue, possibly fuel mixture, havent mixed up any new fuel for it yet.
-leaks coolant out of the overflow tube, i still have to check the level for sure, but it leaked a good amount out so i dont think its too full. was told it had a new thermostat and i replaced the radiator cap today.
-sometimes when i go from neutral to 1st gear (with the clutch lever pulled in all the way) it stalls like i havent even pulled the clutch, im hoping this is just a cable adjustment but not sure.
-and finally, its leaking fuel out of the bottom of the crankcase at the gasket where the two halves come together, but it seems to be hit or miss, doesnt do it all the time.

I wouldnt mind spending a couple hundred getting this thing going, but like i said im pretty new to the 2 stroke world. any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. And does anyone know a good place to get a repair/service manual for this bike? thanks for the help

Dan

gregorious77

Feb 1, 2009
psdan000 said:
hey guys, this is my first post here on the forums. I am new to the two-stroke world and need some help. Yesterday i picked up a 98 RM125 from a buddy. i got it for next to nothing but it needs some work. heres a list of things wrong

-it will not idle, and bogs down when i give it too much throttle, im guessing a carb issue, possibly fuel mixture, havent mixed up any new fuel for it yet.
-leaks coolant out of the overflow tube, i still have to check the level for sure, but it leaked a good amount out so i dont think its too full. was told it had a new thermostat and i replaced the radiator cap today.
-sometimes when i go from neutral to 1st gear (with the clutch lever pulled in all the way) it stalls like i havent even pulled the clutch, im hoping this is just a cable adjustment but not sure.
-and finally, its leaking fuel out of the bottom of the crankcase at the gasket where the two halves come together, but it seems to be hit or miss, doesnt do it all the time.

I wouldnt mind spending a couple hundred getting this thing going, but like i said im pretty new to the 2 stroke world. any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated. And does anyone know a good place to get a repair/service manual for this bike? thanks for the help

Dan
The first bad news thing is the fact it leaks from the crankcase centre gasket. this will be why it does not run properly. you will need to totaly strip the engine and replace the gasket. not a big deal if you are handy with the spanners check the crank seals too while you are there.
Clutch could be the cable or you could have a badly grooved clutch basket. if its not too badly grooved you can get away with filing the grooves out I have done this and mine works fine.
The coolant could be overheating or a leaking head gasket letting pressure into the coolant.
Best thing to do is get a manual and tear it down.
Look on ebay for a book.
You will need some special tools too, a puller for the rotor and a clutch basket holder to undo the clutch basket nut.
have fun with the rebuild I enjoyed doing my 84 RM125
Check every spec from top to bottom and replace all the bits that are needed.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
psdan000 said:

Dan

Well, you definately need to get that case gasket sorted out, that will be disaster if it lets go.

The coolant overflowing could be a bad head gasket. Just an FYI, dirt bikes don't have thermostats.

Welcome to Suzuki clutches, lol. Every Zook I've owned had a poopy clutch. Usually notched baskets or hubs are to blame, sometimes warped plates.

Your local dealer/repair shop should be able to fix you up with a manual. It's always a good idea to find a competent local shop to do business with.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Suzuki's manuals are really good, very thorough... it'll walk you through all the steps. An 11 year old bike is due to have the lower end looked at anyway. If you do the labor, you may stay around your $200 target. But then again... there's bearings, fork/shock service, brakes/rotors, cables, tires, sprockets/chain... sorry.
Fun bike.

Top Bottom