need some help with riding in the winter...

Oct 14, 2004
ok im sorry if this has been already asked or is supposed to be in another forum but im new so I dont know the forums well and i need to get this question out :)...

Does anyone ride in the winter and puts screws in their tires for traction? Because I want to know if 1.that helps a lot 2. can 2 strokes be good in snow ? and 3. how to do it...
Sorry about so many questions but my friend is gay and wont help me out cause he wants to annoy me.. Do you have the screws out so you can touch the point or do you actually screw the thing in and have the flat part touching the ground... thanx to all who help...I really appreciate it -

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Winter riding brrrrrrrrrr!
One of my friends has a set of winter tires for his 86 XR250 (4 stroke)
on separate rims. from what i could see, it looks like the screws (studs) were screwed into the knobs (professionally done) of the tires on one side I asked why just on one side he replied "on the ice track you only make left turns"
Hope this helps
i did a search on google.ca for "motocross winter tires" and came up with a few sites that talk about winter tires for bikes
good luck freezin your butt off winter ridin :)
Tom

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I got a set of cheap tires a few years ago and use them for my, "snow fun".
I zipped sheet metal screws into every knobby, (Lots and lots of screws, like over 500!).
I heard of guys putting screws and nuts from the inside, but I do this way.
They don't last a LLLLLong time, but you can have fun, make sure you wear goggles, cuz they do fly out, (you could get hit in the eye by the guy infront of you!) (replace as needed)
I tape 1/2 my radiator closed when it get @ 20 degrees, also I stuff rags, sponges @ my carb to keep it from freezing, (that air being sucked into the engine at 40-60 MPH is well below 0!
I use Dextron III in my trans, lite oil on my chain, (sometimes just silcoine), same with my throttle cable, (oil gets thick as it gets cold).
I feel my cylinder head to see the temp, if it's luke warm, I block off more radiator, hot, take some off.
I warm my scoot up REAL good before leaving, try not to spin the tires on hard pavement, (screws are slippery!) keep the wheeel spin down on the snow, (so my screws don't get tossed out when it grabs tracton!)
My sons and I have a blast riding in the snow! There's a dirt lot across the street from me, the city dumps snow there, we ride the snow mounds for hours!
If you have a trail you ride, gotta keep the now down, (ride it) Bikes don't like deep snow!!
Have fun!
Joe

Oct 14, 2004
ok so when people say you can buy studded tires that means tires that the company already put screws into right? caus ei thought screws and studs were different things... can someone give me instructions on how to do this? Or will I be fine with a two stroke with regular tires?? thanx

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I run a '98 KTM 125 EXC, my oldest has a '01 125 KTM SX, my youngst on a TTR 125, so 4-2 stroke it doesn't matter.
Oh yeah, you can buy studded tires, they work great, the studs are nice, but, they are expensive! :yikes: (If I was going to race heavy, I might invest in a set, but we do 1-2 snow scrambles a years, not worth the $$$)
You can drill holes and add spikes to regular knobby tires, (the kind they use in auto studded tires).
A guy posted somewhere he drilled holes THROUGH his tires, ran a 1/4-20 X 1" stove bolt through the tire, washer and nut on the outside (on the knobbie) and wrapped the screw heads with 2 layers of an old tube to keep the good tube from getting ruined, (That's way too much work)!
I just buy all the 5/16" head X 1/2" long screws Lowes has, get my battery drill and go at it.
I got them on a set of Chen Shin tires, my youngest, (his TTR 125) I use a old set of knobbies. Mount the tires and go have fun!
I wait until there's like 2-3" of snow on the ground befroe I "stud up"
Don't forget to re-jet yopur bike!!! ;)
Joe

Last edited:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
You don't need any of that unless you're riding on ice...which is not particularly my favorite thing to do. And yeah, 2 strokes are real good winter bikes.

Oct 14, 2004
Detonator said:
Sorry to hear about your friend's gayness. Does he ride a Suzuki?

bahahaha thats funny... he rides honda tho...

question : how the hell are 2 strokes good winter bikes? Id suspect a 4 stroke to be good because I heard the two stroke spins a lot because of the powerband and such, and since a 4 strokes power is low they grip easier.... somone clear up how a 2 stroke is good? lol and thanx for the help everyone but since I still have no idea how to stud my own, ima try to ride with regular tires and see how that goes...maybe ill be fine but well see..
thanx - :cool:

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
the one thing i found that is really gay i sthe fact that in deeb sno 3-4 feet that the rear time likes to pack sno right under the seat and into the air box of my 2000 xr250r i barely got to a friends grage about 6 miles away when my air box was a large block of packed snow. does anyone know away to fix this??

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
joe28kdx said:
I zipped sheet metal screws into every knobby, (Lots and lots of screws, like over 500!).
I heard of guys putting screws and nuts from the inside, but I do this way.
They don't last a LLLLLong timeJoe

if you do it the screws and nuts way they last quite a few years, or until the screws get really dull.

Top Bottom