J29020

Apr 4, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) about 5' 7" give or take an inch and about 122lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? I would say i ride pretty aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Local tracks my land and with friends on their land
4) Do you have any riding experience?about 8 years
5) Do you think you will race ? maby but probably not
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I can somewhat rebuild my bike ( I occasionally need a little bit of dads help)
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? SX,CR,YZ,RM and preferably a 2 stroke
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes and I have access to all the brands I named.
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?1500-4000
10) Do you live in California?
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I started on an xr50 went to xr70 then xr200 I have many hours however on my friends spare bike (RM100)
and im 16
any help?
I want a two stroke because of engine simplicity,lightness,power,and being sick of thumpers

I dont care anything about the new mx fourstrokes because of same amount of maintanance and more complex engine design.

im truely sick of my xr200 its to heavy to jump and just two slow to do anything. :yell:

any suggestions on what 125 to get if I go with that.

Last edited:

Blackcat

Mar 9, 2007
I phrase I hear around here quite a bit is pick a color. I am in that boat as well where I don't know what brand to go with. But from what everyone says they are all about the same. Each one is has it pros and cons.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would say pick a color but there are differences between the bikes. One that I have noticed is the "rake" of the front forks. The angle that the forks are at with respect to level does make a difference in how the bike responds. Doesn't make the bike better or worse, it makes it different. Some riders like it one way, some the other. If you haven't ridden a specific brand of bike then I would suggest staying with a fork rake that you know.

Do keep in mind, however, that all the big bike brands make "off road" and "MX" models. I suspect that you will want a MX bike, not an Off Road model.

The primariy differences between the MX and off road is the performance of the engine and the suspension. A MX bike will typically have 12" of suspension travel compared to 8" for an off road bike. The MX engine will have a 12:1 compression ratio compared to a 9:1 for the off road bike.

The MX bike will be harder to start and a bit more finicky.

The Off road bike will be happy on any grade of gasoline. The MX bike really needs premium gas.

Reliability is a much more difficult issue. If you attempted to ride an Off Road bike like it was a MX bike the suspension will suffer and you will have reliablity problems.

On the other hand, the high performance engine on the MX bike will allow you to destroy it where the off road bike's engine will be much more forgiving.

Since you mentioned jumping I would say that you need to have a MX bike. Two stroke or four stroke would be personal choice, so for whatever reason your bias is for two stroke then that is what you should get. Pretty much the same story on engine size.

Good luck!

Rod

Top Bottom