Mr Mobsta Man

Jun 10, 2007
1) your physical size ~5'4"-5'5", 117lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you? low/medium
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Woods (+hills)
4) Do you have any riding experience? Started really getting into riding not very long ago but getting pretty comfortable handling my yz 85. I have had the bike for about 2 or 3 years now and before that I had an off-brand 70cc.
5) Do you think you will race ? Friends, not on tracks
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Mechanically inclined but not doing my own work
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Only thing i refuse to ride is a suzuki.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Very nice place about 30 mins away that carries honda, suzuki, yamaha, and ktm.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 5,000-5,800
10) Do you live in California? I live in West Virginia
11) Your age? 17
12) anything else. I want to upgrade from my 85 but my height is the main obsticle. I tried getting on a honda 125 but with the kickstand still holding the bike up all I can get on the ground is my toes of one foot. Me and my dad both want to get a bike and he is about the same size as me. What I really want from the bike is one that can get around tight trails easy and climb fairly big hills too. There is a hill in the woods not far from me that is about 50-60* that I can get my 85 about only half way up. I want my next bike to get me to the top.

Last edited:

Jan 3, 2007
Mr Mobsta Man, I think a CRF150R would do the trick. Also, it has a ton of aftermarket parts so when you get bored of the power you can up grade it. You might get away with a 125 besides the Yamaha if you get some one to lower the bike for you.

Mr Mobsta Man

Jun 10, 2007
My friend has a crf150f and i rode it yesterday. I was not impressed by the acceleration at all. It is a really nice bike for hills but I want something with some more acceleration, something like my yz 85 or faster. I think I might have to stick to a 2stroke even though it really sucks on the hills around here. Do you think a ktm sx125 would be good if I get a new pipe and silencer that will give me more low end? If not, how much faster would the 230 tt-r or crf230f be compaired to my yz 85 and my friends 150f?

Mr Mobsta Man

Jun 10, 2007
oh ok, I see. Is the 150r going to be faster than my 85 in straits and up hills? I'm just concerned about going from a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke then being disappointed and wanting my 85 back. I appreciate the help.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
any brand 125 would probably work for you, and you can usually find a lowering link for them if height is an issue.

Mr Mobsta Man

Jun 10, 2007
I am going to be looking at a ktm 125. The dealership near me ordered one for me to look at 2 weeks ago but it hasn't gotten there yet. If I don't like it or if it is too big I will look into the 150r. Hight is definatly an issue for me with the 125's, I sat on a 07 honda 125 and I barely got one toe on the ground. I don't know how I feel about lowering links if they effect handling in a negative way either.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
well, you aren't gonna get any kind of lowering link for a KTM, since they don't have a linkage.

But there are other options, and some KTM specific sites have all kinds of ideas.

Mr Mobsta Man

Jun 10, 2007
The seat hight on the ktm 125 is the lowest out of the honda, yamaha, suzuki, and ktm at about 36inches. It will be a bit of a reach for me but I can grow into it. I don't mind tip toeing it for a little while.

Top Bottom