Dec 6, 2007
i bought a 2001 CR250 for $400, i was told it needed a new piston amungst other things... anyways just took off the top end and the old piston is missing like half of one of the skirts. I was just wonderinf how to tell if the bottom end is going to need to be rebuilt... i tried to move the kick start to get the crank to move, it does not.... so, am i screwed??? :bang:

lestat357

Dec 5, 2007
id say the engine is but not you thats a good price go to lukesracing.com they got complete engine kits id say get a manual and fix it up maybe 6 to 8 hundred and youd have an awesome bike

Dec 6, 2007
i bought a vertex piston and top end kit, ufo plastics black, new filter, spark plug, grips, fmf sst pipe, fmf powercore 2 short silencer... spent around 700 so far, hopefully it wont need any bottom end work... right now its not lookin too good :|

lestat357

Dec 5, 2007
wow yea thats quite abit lol id take the bottom end completely apart and inspect and clean youll want to at least replace the main bearings that is if the case is fine of course. ive gotta get all that stuff for my bike too but luckily my crank rotates freely when you mess with the kickstarter but im still taking it apart just to be safe.

Dec 6, 2007
yeah its my first bike, so i was pretty bummed when i ordered all that stuff and then got in there and this is what i find... kind sucks but i'm looking forward to working on it, fixing it, and starting it for the first time. always a good feeling. just not looking forward to spending too much more $$$

lestat357

Dec 5, 2007
its funny either you got the money and no time or you got the time but no money lol. i think i woulda done the same just go buy a bunch of stuff for it before knowing it runs. really the parts arent expensive its just everything adds up im taking mine apart completely and im sure im gonna find problem after problem but i just look forward to the end when i got it running good and looking good itll be well worth it. im sure youll be happy eventually lol good luck with it.

Top Bottom