dioxide211

Jan 31, 2003
Need some info please (bigbore 2-stroke)

I recently switched from a KX250 to a KTM 520SX. In my opinion the only thing the 520 does better is it has a better spread of power and more of it. I am 6'2''' and about 260 lbs with no gear on and ride moto mostly. I really like the grunt from the 520 but I feel like I sacrifice handling, suspension, and most importantly relaibility to gain it.

This is probably just me but every single time I ride the KTM I am paranoid it is going to break. I can't afford to rebuild a mega dollar thumper if it lets go.

I guess what I really want to know is if it is possible to get 520SX type power from my KX250 with a bigbore kit and some mods. I ride in the vet class so I don't have to worry about engine size.

Does anyone know what kind of HP numbers can be expected from a modded 250? I am also curious about the reliability of a bike in that state of tune....... Any info would REALLy be appreciated.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
It seems like the Katoom's haven't been experiencing the valve-related failures of the YZFs and CRFs? My impression is that the increased displacement of the 525 may allow them to occupy a slightly more conservative state of tune. Certainly they provide a more traditional four-stroke power band versus the rev-to-the-moon delivery of the Japanese four strokes. RPMs is just one way to make power, and it is also the most stressful on engine internals - valve stems, connecting rods, etc.

Just my observation.

-Pace

Top Bottom