junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I'm changing the steering stem bearings on an '87 KX80. They were in really bad shape, almost non movable. Got the stem out and the bearings off of it. My problem is I can't get the inner races out of the frame. There's really not enough lip to catch on to drive them out. Any tips/tricks or ideas? :bang: Another quick question. Anyone know the amount of fluid in the front forks? Measurement from top of fork tube when full?

Mark

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
Some guys never take a day off.... :laugh:

Mark, I was able to get a stuck race out once by using one of those little Motabo blades on a Dremel.

Cut a diagonal line in it....very carefully...and the gap will give it enough slack to pry it out. :nod:

As far as the fluid level...I would guess, 100-105mm from the top with the forks fully compressed and the springs in.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I bought Mikes bike today and got it home and he already had most of the parts to fix it. I figured I'd start with the head bearings cause it's easy, yeah right! I had to dremel the lower bearing off the stem cause it was stuck then I run into the inners which are harder. I'll try as you suggest. I think the fork seals will have to wait for another time.

Mark

Top Bottom