devries

Aug 9, 2001
1990 cr500
I'm in the process of replacing and adjusting the spokes on my rear rim and I am having a lot of trouble getting the spoke to loosen off the spoke nipple. What I am doing is clamping down on the spoke close to the nipple with vise grips and using an open end wrench to turn the nipple. Some of the spokes are easy so loosen, but a majority of them wont budge and the vice grips slip off. I have hit them with penatrating oil several times but I'm no farther ahead. Is there some trick of the trade for looseing these buggers?
thanks for looking

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If and when you do get them loose, make sure you spray them with a lube that will not let them sieze again. Preventative maintenance:)

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
i dont know about your area or dealers , but i know that around here spokes are sold in sets and are big bucks, so what ever you do dont hacksaw them unless its your last resort.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
No i dont think a heat gun will work at all. I usually do this when i change my tires since it makes it alot easier. Then i use anti seize and then when my tire is on the bike my spokes are free to adjust and not seized anymore.

Top Bottom