flykawasaki

Jan 10, 2002
I have been having recurring problems with my spokes getting froze up so that they can't be tightened. This happened a few months ago on my rear tire and I had to replace all the spokes (this is a fairly unpleasant task :uh: especially when you can't turn them). I seem to really stretch my spokes alot. I am an agressive 180 pound rider so maybe that's normal. But anyhow last night I was tightening my spokes and several were froze up again. I sprayed WD40 on them then clamped a vice grip on the spoke and turned the nipple back and forth to free them. 1 ended up breaking off from the fatigue. I think the root cause may be the steel spokes and aluminum nipples get corroded together like many other bolts on the bike :think . I think the spokes were White Borthers. Has anyone else had these problems and if so have you found superior spokes or better techniques?

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey flyin, I haven't had the problem yet on a motorcycle (been lucky) but have on mountain bikes, when I build a bicycle wheel I use a material called "spoke prep" from Wheelsmith, basically it's kinda like assmbly lube but with some anit loosening properties as well. It might be worth a try, I have had the problemms you describe come up on bike wheels built without it.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
It seems every spoke on every bike I've ever owned were frozen. Fortunately I never had a problem that they needed adjusted or replaced. The reason I know they were frozen is I tried tightening to the same pitch, since they wouldn't turn I just left them alone.

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
Try Anti-Seize. It's a lubricant you put on bolts or nuts for machinery that prevents the bolts from seizing (or freezing) on to the nut. I've used it before and never had a problem with my spokes. You can get this Anti-Seize from a hardware store or even Autozone. I think the cost is less than $15.

Anti-Seize also works great for the nuts and bolts of your car tires, that's how I found out about it.

Good Luck!

flykawasaki

Jan 10, 2002
Yeah, I have some anti seize lubricant. I am doubting how effective it will be on the spokes because they are exposed to dirt, water, and power washing.
I'll try it though.

Has anyone found a good manufacturer for spokes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom