Need spring rate advice for '03 KTM 450 EXC

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I just picked up my new '03 KTM 450 EXC. And even though I'm still on break-in and not in full-flog mode ..... I love it!

Specs:
I am *currently* 6', 230 lbs (nekkid). But I am on a serious training program to get down to 220 by Feb. '04 and ~195 lbs by summer '04.

Ability: I am an experienced intermediate.

Riding areas/style:
80%: I typically ride deep-woods trails in the Pacific Northwest - which means slick, rocky, crawln'-type speeds
20%: Will definately do 3-4 high-speed Grand Prixs - such as Elsinore Grand Prix. Ride pretty fast, fairly aggressive.
10%: Love to *play* on mx/indoor arena courses a couple times a year. I do jump - but typically nothing more than a very small double or table-top. 3-5' of air.... 5-20' of distance. So nothing big.

Given that my weight is either:
a) going to stay at 230
b) go to ~200lbs (Most realistic weight range is 205-215 lbs. with gear...)

and I ride a wide variety of terrain/speeds.... sometimes fast, but more trail-pickin' with limited air...

what's best suggestion on front/rear springs?

Thanks! - E-Ticket

For Sale: 2002 KTM 400 MXC $4950.
Lovingly broken in, professionally cared for, in excellent shape. Have had ZERO problems. KTM Factory handguards, Enduro Engineering countershaft guard. TrailTech Panorama computer, Easy-Flo tank vent, 46 front springs and PDS-3 rear spring (also have stock 44/PD-2 springs), 13/52T gearing in good shape (also have original, brand-new, 14/50T stock gearing). Comes with spare EXC headlight/number plate and headlight switch. All valve adjustments and oil changes done on schedule - only use Mobil 1 MX4-T 10W-40 oil.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Thanks, CP. That mirrors what I've been thinkin'....

I've currently got a PDS-3 on my 400MXC and it was *just* outside of the proper adjustment range. If I'm *truly* going to lose the weight - I should probably aim for the .44/3 combo as giving me the best range for 195-215.

I thought about putting the PDS-3 on my 450 EXC -- but until I match w/ a fork spring change - it wouldn't be a valid trial.

Thanks! - ET

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Personally, I have found it much easier to change springs than go on a diet. Buy .50's Then you can eat what you want this holiday season.

(Said by a very angry man who just finished his physical. Did not mean to make you kind folks my victims as I munch a rice cake)

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Too true, Cannon! <grin> - ET

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Thanks for all the advice guys! I have decided to go with the 44s/PDS-7 and lose my fat a**. <g>

See you at Elsinore GP next November! -- E-Ticket

Top Bottom