Need spring rate advice for '03 KTM 450 EXC

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
I just picked up my new '03 KTM 450 EXC. And even though I'm still on break-in and not in full-flog mode ..... I love it!

Specs:
I am *currently* 6', 230 lbs (nekkid). But I am on a serious training program to get down to 220 by Feb. '04 and ~195 lbs by summer '04.

Ability: I am an experienced intermediate.

Riding areas/style:
80%: I typically ride deep-woods trails in the Pacific Northwest - which means slick, rocky, crawln'-type speeds
20%: Will definately do 3-4 high-speed Grand Prixs - such as Elsinore Grand Prix. Ride pretty fast, fairly aggressive.
10%: Love to *play* on mx/indoor arena courses a couple times a year. I do jump - but typically nothing more than a very small double or table-top. 3-5' of air.... 5-20' of distance. So nothing big.

Given that my weight is either:
a) going to stay at 230
b) go to ~200lbs (Most realistic weight range is 205-215 lbs. with gear...)

and I ride a wide variety of terrain/speeds.... sometimes fast, but more trail-pickin' with limited air...

what's best suggestion on front/rear springs?

Thanks! - E-Ticket

For Sale: 2002 KTM 400 MXC $4950.
Lovingly broken in, professionally cared for, in excellent shape. Have had ZERO problems. KTM Factory handguards, Enduro Engineering countershaft guard. TrailTech Panorama computer, Easy-Flo tank vent, 46 front springs and PDS-3 rear spring (also have stock 44/PD-2 springs), 13/52T gearing in good shape (also have original, brand-new, 14/50T stock gearing). Comes with spare EXC headlight/number plate and headlight switch. All valve adjustments and oil changes done on schedule - only use Mobil 1 MX4-T 10W-40 oil.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
I go the same weight. 40+A enduro rider, occasional desert, MX,..... old bike is '02 KTM380exc.
Running a PDS3 and .44N/mm fork springs on old bike. Performance has been good, have sometimes wished for slightly stiffer rear and lighter front.

I AM LOSING Weight, so ordered a PDS6 (I think) and .42's yesterday for my new '03 250exc.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
At this point, I'm leaning towards the .44 Front/PDS-3 Rear.
(stock is .42/PDS2)
I'm thinking the .44/3 will be best for the woods (hoping to keep it supple) and crank up the compression and rebound clickers for the play days on MX courses.

Thanks! - ET

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Hey Randy, how are ya? I don't knw a thing about springs but wanted to comment on losing weight. I was an Atkins skeptic and an iron-pumping enthusiast, but I finally decided to give Atkin's a try & have slot a lost in just a couple weeks easily. Haven't even see a gym in over a month either. The eatings pretty good & reading the book helped it to make sense to me. I'm sure you could hit 220 in 2 weeks, no prob.

Congrats on the new ride!

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Damn, Capt....! That's just what I needed to hear!

I've made the decision to go with .44s/PDS7 and focus on getting the weight back to where it should be.

So, if go the Atkins route - any advice on what to focus on, not do?

Now all I have to do is actually *find* some .44 forks springs -- it starting to look like everyone is out! argggg...

Thanks for the input! -- E-Ticket

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by E-Ticket

Now all I have to do is actually *find* some .44 forks springs -- it starting to look like everyone is out! argggg...

I heard that DRZ fork springs are the same size. Also, MX-Tech suppossedly has them in stock.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Woo-hoo!! Dealer just called and jsut got in 3 sets of .44s.
I'm reaching for the car keys as we speak.....

Cheers! - ET

Top Bottom