slodad

Sep 4, 2005
My son's recently acquired '02 CR250 runs wonderfully except for a slight burble, which I assume to be caused by richness, at 1/3-1/2 throttle. According to the manual, the standard needle for our elevation (125') and temperature (55-70) is a 6BEY30-74 in the 2nd slot. The bike came with what appears to be a 6BEH2-72. The clip was in the 2nd slot, and raising it to the 1st slot decreased the sputtering, but I'm now out of adjustments.

Is it likely that replacing the needle will cure the problem? The bike is stock except for a FMF Fatty with a Turbinecore2 spark arrestor. The current main jet is a 380. It starts easily, idles well and pulls strongly from idle to redline, except for the slightly over-rich feeling mentioned above.

Jamz

Dec 14, 2005
I have a 00 YZ250 w/ FMF Fatty and Turbinecore2 that had a similar problem. I did go up a needle in thickness and back to stock position (3rd slot) and it cleared it up perfectly. Not sure about Honda's but Yamaha's have quite a few choices of needles. There is a range on both diameters and tapers, so just make sure you get what you want. The taper is 1/2 a slot "I THINK" and then you have the larger diameters which are larger jumps. But definitly when you do go up in diameter raise the needle to richen it or you will be real lean.

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
I just bought a jd jetting kit for my 03 cr250 but have yet to install it. My bike was jetted rich from the factory for my 1500ft. elvetion and high temps in the summer. My bike would load up if you weren't on the gas all day. Anyways, i've heard nothing but good things about the jd kit. It comes with 2 needles and an assortment of four other main jets.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
The -72 needle has a smaller straight section than the stock -74 needle that will make the jetting richer close to the range you're describing. IMHO I would go back to the stock -74 needle, it should clear things up.

Top Bottom