Never been on a bike, but want to race HELP!!

colochris

Jul 24, 2003
Sorry to bug you all. I am 23 6'6" and about 170 lbs. I want to race badly ever since I went to a local motocross race. Some people I know say Honda is the best, I want a Yamaha. I am thinking about a YZ250, but the price I think is close to the 450. I just want to race on the dirt tracks not anything else, so I do not know which would be better??? The money... I'll have to save up, but just want a bike that I can get good aftermarket parts for( if needed) or some good parts that weigh less that can be traded out. Also 2 stroke or 4 stroke?? I know this has been asked alot Im sure, but I have heard that the 2 strokes you have to mix the gas, and that the spark plugs miss alot more??? And the four strokes..I know nothing about. So I hope that you all do not make fun of me, I just want to compete and have fun. I do have more questions about racing, but I appreciate you just reading my first post.
God Bless

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Being a tall rider you should steer away from Kawasaki and Honda. Unless you are willing to put some money into changing the ergos on the Honda. You will need a taller seat, new triple clamps and taller bars, maybe even lower pegs. I'm 6'3" and I don't feel comfortable on the CRF450 or CR250; too cramped.

the suzuki and Yamaha have more room for taller riders.

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke is not a question I can answer. I started out on a 2 stroke and about a year later I rode a friends 2003 Honda CRF450 and it felt really weird.I could probably get used to it but I chose to go with a 2nd 2stroke cause I liked it.

Fouling plugs isn't really a big deal on 2 strokes (especially the newer ones). As far as the mixing oil in the gas thing thats not bad either. You are gonna have to change the oil in a 4 stroke every 4 rides or something like that but with 2 stroke you always got fresh engine oil everytime you gas up.

And 4stroke parts are more expensive than 2stroke parts. Just look at exhaust prices between the 2. Not to mention the extra grand you pay just to get one.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Oh and if you don't have any experience on a dirt bike please don't race right away. It takes time to learn the bike. Its not as easy as it looks. It took me 2 years to just race and compete at the beginner level. My best finish is 6th after 2 years of riding.

colochris

Jul 24, 2003
Thanks for the help. And about just going out to race , I live on a farm like atmosphere so I was going to make a track to practice before I even go to the local track and practice. I hear they have lessons there so I m all for that. When you race like if I get a 250, do I race in the 125cc ?? Im still learning, also I have heard some people talking about punching out to the next level?? Thanks

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Posts like this bring a smile to my face. :) My first thought is "Are you nuts" :p - As you are a big guy, you probably would do fine on a 250, I would suggest you try out a few bikes if you can, get a feel for the bike, the sport, the requirements - racing is hard work, tiring work, and also very dangerous, especially if you are tired or inexperienced. 250's have a better life span than 125's so if you can find a good used bike which fits you - any color will do. Now you may find this funny, but try find someone like yourself, someone new to the sport who may wish to sell their gear, bike etc - you may be able to pick up some bargains.

Most importantly - get the safety gear, all of it, or as much of it as you can - just getting a helmet, and riding in jeans and shirt with hiking boots is not the way to go. the better protected you are, the better chance you have of surviving a crash.

Also, don't write of hare scrambles, enduro racing, or just plain trail riding - all offer a great dirt biking experience - you may find your forte' in hare scrambles or cross country racing

Good luck, and welcome to the club. :thumb:

Last edited:

nvdirtbiker

Jun 30, 2003
Its great to see someone just coming into the sport..welcome aboard! As far as bikles go, well there are so many choices as to boggle the mind. But your asking the right questions, in the right place. Okay..as for two strokes..last year i got a killer deal on e-bay....i picked up an 87 kawasaki kx250 for a grand..and it ran (and still runs) great. Fun bike, i sold it to a friend for what I paid for it....I also bought an old yamaha yz250 for 400 bucks....installed a new top end (not hard, and with labor it was under 200 dollars. Bike ran great and i sold it for a grand...my point is, for learning I wouldnt run out and spend 7 to 8 grand on a new bike...find a good used bike and learn...remember as you learn you WILL lay the bike down..over and over! And fixing an old bike is MUCH less heart breaking than fixing a new one. Also, new bikes are VERY fast, and arent great to learn on...remember your talking about FULL RACE machines built for ALL OUT COMPETITION. As your skills improve, move on up to newer, more powerful bikes. Most of all though, its so much fun, and a massive rush! Enjoy learning and riding..its the greatest sport on earth.

colochris

Jul 24, 2003
Thanks again I do have another question though??? I have been looking on ebay, is this a safe thing to do??? Also say I buy a '94 bike can I still get aftermarket parts for it?? I just ask because if I get better and I want to try and race in a few years, can I compete with an older bike??? I want to learn dont get me wrong, I also want to be able to have a good bike that I can crash but also take to a track and try to keep up with other paople with newer bikes.

thank you

chris

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by colochris
Thanks again I do have another question though??? I have been looking on ebay, is this a safe thing to do??? .....

I keep telling my wife that it is not safe for me for her to be looking on eBay!!

eBay can be a good place to get gear and parts - just make sure that you know the value of what you are looking at.

As for buying a bike - it is probably a good thing to check it out yourself (in person) or have someone who knows about bikes go with you.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom