OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
I was at the dealer earlier today to get an 04 KDX 220 for $3800 brand new. I saw a new 2002 KTM 250 exc that they want $4800 for, is this a good deal? Did they change much over the next two years. I'm 44 and haven't been on a bike in 20 years. I did ride from the time I was 11 till I was 24 but then i git married. Well anyways I would only be using the bike a few times a month for train riding and some play MX, but I want something with some low end and that isn't all crazy like a CR or RM. I cant afford a 2004 02005 so it,s between the KTM and Kawi. Never even rode a KTM before but I know they have a good reputation. I'm 6'3" and about 190 lbs if that makes a difference.
Mike

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
I think thats a pretty good deal. I have owned my KTM 250 EXC for 2 years. I bought it in August 2002 when the '03's were out so they reduced the price by $500.

Its a great bike. Lots of low end, excellent handling, decent suspension, and quality parts. Oh yeah the top end is scary fast, at least to me. I rarely get it past half throttle. No need.

I usually ride trails, enduros, a hare scrambles once in awhile. The bike works really well in tight woods and OK in open stuff. It does have some headshake at higher speeds and choppy ground so I'm leaning towards a steering damper.

I'm 5'7" 170. I revalved the forks with the Fab-Tech kit and added .42 springs. It works really well for me. The rear shock is stock. I run the sag lower than most people but it works good for me. I started at 100mm then backed off the sag a turn at a time until it felt really solid.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A new 2002? They have got to be wanting to sell that thing, see if they will go $4000 or so.

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
They actually want $4800+170 for shipping and setup. I offered them $4500 but said no. I think they will take it in a few weeks or so. I dont plan on getting rid of it since I'm 44 now it will probably be my last bike,so I'm not worried about resale but I don't want to get screwed either. They also have a new 2001 sitting right next to it. One more thing, whats with the seat, it's like sitting on an iron railing.
Mike

copyguy

Dec 9, 1999
Sounds a little steep to me for an 02. I bought by 02 250exc for $5100 2 1/2 years ago. It might be worth it to look around for a leftover 03 or 04 for about the same price. Don't know if you'll find a 250exc though.

They should really let that go for the low 4's.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
OTHG MIKE said:
They actually want $4800+170 for shipping and setup.

I dont plan on getting rid of it since I'm 44 now it will probably be my last bike,so I'm not worried about resale but I don't want to get screwed either. They also have a new 2001 sitting right next to it.

One more thing, whats with the seat, it's like sitting on an iron railing.
Mike

I wouldn't give over $4000 for it. No matter how you cut it, it will only be worth $3000 at best when you roll it out the door because it is an 2002.
And I sure wouldn't pay anything extra for shipping and setup.

I'd be wondering what kind of a dealer they are with leftover 01 and 02 250's? :ohmy:

The hard seat is just part of the KTM experience. :yikes:

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
Thanks guys I knew that I would get some good feedback in here. I think it would be worth giving them around $4200 at the most. Like you say when it goes out the door its going to lose a grand no matter what. As for the dealer they sell KTM, Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki so the cheeper bikes probably go out the door easier.

Thanks Mike

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i pretty sure ktm changed the suspensions in 03,for the better at least thats what i have heard. shop around, i would look for a shop that knows what they are doing. that will set the bike up for you. my brother in law just bought a new 03 300 exc for 5300. really nice bike

OTHG MIKE

Oct 26, 2004
Sorry guys but I took the cheep way out I got an 04 KDX220R . I'll only be riding a few times a month so hopefully it will do the trick. I get it tomorrow.
thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom