madmike90

Aug 3, 2007
i just picked up an '05 CRF450R for $2200 in great shape

pro circuit exhaust, newer plastics, valves just redone, the works.

firstly, was this a good price?

and second, i need to pick up a set of sprockets and a chain for it. any suggestions?

ill be riding woods and the occasional track day.

thanks

mike

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
Put it this way, I bought an 03 a year and half ago for $2300. The going price that I witnessed back then with ebay and all sources I would find was $2700-$2900. I think you did all right. I knew my previous owner and lucky to have 10-15 hours on it.
I have my beliefs about chains and everyone will have different opinions. I did a Heavy Duty standard chain and steel spockets. Not trying to win races so the weight doesn't matter to me. I want strong!
The chain is a RK MXZ. It was the highest tensile strength I could find. Was higher than x-ring or o-rings. I say if you clean your chain and lube it, standard is as great as o-ring. Others believe the o-ring gives no maintenance rights. Yeah, right!
Enjoy the machine!!!!

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
That sounds like a hell of a deal to me. Buy your sprockets after you ride woods on that bike. I ride a YZ400F in the woods and I have it geared 13/51, which is very low. My top end speed is slow, but I dont really need alot of speed where I ride...although it would be nice from time to time on the open areas. My point is that you will very likely want to gear it down for the trail...if its stock gearing, 1st will be way too tall for woods riding. What is your gearing now?

On another topic, it may tend to run hot in the slow trails, if so, run distilled water with water wetter...works great for me.

Dirtjunkie85

Mar 2, 2010
Not sure on the gearing, but you'll be a lot more life out of steel sprockets and an X-ring or O-ring chain. The standard chains just stretch too much and it ends up wearing the sprockets faster (plus you have to adjust it more). I have had really good luck with Primary Drive chain and sprocket kits from Rocky Mountain and the price is reasonable too. See this link. Motorcycle Chain

Last edited:

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I agree Primary Drive is good quality, but the only problem is that they sell those kits with stock gearing. For my bike, the package is a good deal, but it would be 14/49 stock gearing and that wont work for the trail...so, I have to order them individually. That is another reason, of many I have, to buy a bike intended for the type of terrain you ride. MX bike for MX, trail bike for the trail.

youngnbald

Oct 13, 2008
Speaking of over heating with trail riding. I have a Trail Tech Vapor on the bike and saw the temperatures between trail and the track. Get a "turkey baster" solution on the bike. It is a coolant overflow tank like a trail bike has. My past post has what I did. Everything simple to find at Walmart and Lowes. A must so you don't run low on coolant... you need everything you can to cool this bike in trails.
I changed my sprocket in the rear for more low end power. Can't remember which way from stock, but it was two teeth and very happy. My top end didn't hurt much and never missed the speed. The bike can still scare the crap out of you. Search "turkey baster" and lots of ideas are out there. Mine cost $8 I think.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I also use the Trail Tech Vapor...I think we have had that conversation before. It was a great investment, I use the temp guage constantly when I ride trails. Water Wetter also makes a big difference.

I carry 2 front sprockets, a 13 and a 14 tooth. If I want speed, I can switch to the 14 tooth. Generally, speed is less of a concern and I run the 13/51 combo.

Top Bottom