New bike for my eleven year old daughter?

laurie

Jan 13, 2003
My daughter is a great little rider. She is riding a XR 80 right now and has out grown it. She actually rides my YZ 125 around but still is not tall enough yet! She is growing like a weed! I don't want to get her a two stroke necessarily. She is tall for her age but still is under a hundred pounds. Some of the four stoke bikes are to heavy. Anyways would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Laurie

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
If she is riding your YZ125 and doing OK on it (she is handling the hit) I would go in the 2 storke direction! A 125 seems like a lot of bike for an 11 year old though - maybe the YZ85 would be the better choice There are a number of ways to lower the bike for her (maybe just lowering the sag would do it) that could make it safe for use. Of course someone is giong to come back with - yea but if you do you will mess up the bikes super suspention - when they do remember that the change doesnt have to be forever and how many 100 footers is she going to be doing right away anyway!!!
You are correct about the 4's being heavy - nature of the beast! If you really want an eye opener do a search on "real" weights on bikes like the CRF150/230, TTR's, and the rest. You will be shocked at the difference between manufacture's claimed and real weight. No doubt about it - they are heavy.
Hope this helps
Woodsy

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
How about the KX100? It's taller than the XR80, it's not quite as pipey as the YZ85 (so it's a better woods bike than the YZ85), and it's much lighter than those 4-strokes at 150 lbs. I weigh 100 lbs and I really like my little KX, so that may give you some kind of comparison for your daughter. Just a thought.

laurie

Jan 13, 2003
Thanks for the info. I think my daughter would like a two stroke better. I am going to fit her on a KX100 and see how she fits and go from there. I saw a RM100 at the dealer today does anybody have some info. on it? Laurie

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i believe the KX and RM are the same bikes, at least as far as the 60's and 65's and 100's go. how tall is she? even though, the fact that she can ride your YZ is good enough. man, it's great to see women getting into the sport. (i almost said "our" sport, but changed it at the last minute, lol :) ) congrats to you and your daughter!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
KX & RM100's are the same bike, just different coloured plastics. Year before last Kawasaki & Suzuki came to an agreement to help each other with R&D & try to get some of the market back. The little bikes are all the same and should be the same price, but I've noticed over here they differ about $300, so whichever is cheaper or which dealer is best, comes into effect.

The 80's will be different, as both companies had their own 80's before the agreement, as will 125's, 250's. The KLX/DRZ400 are the same also.

BlueRider, it still is a guy's sport, very much so, just more & more of us women are starting to ride. Oh, and if you did put "our" in there, it could be taken as our without gender (as in all of us dirtbike riders lol). ;)
Michelle

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
my problem was i was starting riding at 12 and i grew out of my 3 80's quick, if she is doing good on the yz125 than id buy her one too, they are great bikes, i love mine

laurie

Jan 13, 2003
I am a little worried about getting her a YZ like mine. She has turned into such an aggressive little rider. She will take on any hill climb or race down the wash. I'm still amazed at what she can make that little 80 do! The problem is if I put her on something like a 125 2 stroke. I am afraid she will get her self in trouble. I guess it's the Mom thing in me! Anyways if I don't make up my mind soon she will be riding my bike and I will be the one looking for a new bike! Thanks again for all the good advise. This is such a great sport to share with your kids! Laurie

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
CRF150 :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom