dlroy101

Aug 19, 2004
My son is ready to make a move up. He first started on a PW50 and has been on a KLX110 the last couple of years. He has never rode a bike with a manual clutch before. He just turned 10 and he is about 4'8" and weighs 90 pounds. We only ride woods/trails, but he would like for me to build him a little track on our property. But that won't have any big jumps or anything that would require a motocross bike. I would like to go to something that will last a few years. Our options are pretty typical of I'm sure everyone else that has been through this:

Honda CRF100
Kawasaki KLX140 & KLX140L
Yamaha TTR125E & TTR125LE
Suzuki DRZ125 & DRZ125L

He has sat on most of these and with the CRF100 he could get both of his toes/balls of his feet down. On the others he had to go one footed. However, if I needed to I'm sure I could lower most if not all of these some by moving the fork up and adjusting the shock.

BTW, on the CRF100, I found a good deal on a new 2006, which would put it at a minimum of $900 less than the others. I don't want to make money the only decision factor though.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Darrell

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
be careful, it won't take long for the kid to outgrow the bike. If he has the skills he'll be able to manage the taller bikes. Moving up to a clutch is a bit of a chore, though.

No matter what, I'm sure he'll have fun on whatever you decide on.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
All would be a good choice. You can make a pretty big change in the seat height with an electric carving knife taken to the seat foam. Down the road just get a new foam and it's back to standard height.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
2strokerfun said:
If you buy a used CRF100 and ride it for a year, I'll bet you can sell it for what you paid for it.
+1. The lower price and easy resale of the Honda CRF100 makes that an easy choice. They're not only popular with kids but gf/wives, too.

Top Bottom