New Bike, gonna change the chain, but How to get off?

joeym4130

Aug 29, 2006
Well been through a few rountine things w/ the RM250 I bought. Changed fork seals from a bad leak, changed fluids, coolant looked real old, changed that, new filter etc.

I was taking a look at the chain today. The sprockets look lkind of beat so I was going to change everything in the next week or so.

I dont know much/any about Bike chains, the only thing I know is from a bicycle.

The chain I have is a non-O ring race chain by looking at it. The only thing I was confused about , is that it has no master link clip on it anywhere that you would take off. The only thing is that one link has side plates slightly different then the rest, and there is no room on that link for a master link clip if i had one anyway. Is this chain a different type of chain? The pins are mushroomed out on that link so I guess it can't come off? Would a regular chain-breaker tool be used here?

Whats the deal with this? It was owned by a guy who used it for enduro races..
Thx!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
if you are going to replace it anyway you can just cut it off. Or you can grind down one of the pins anywhere you choose and pop it through as well. I have heard of chains with no master links but I have never dealt with them myself

Top Bottom