wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I have 100 miles on my '03 KDX200 and I have greased the rear suspension linkage. I also have the service manual and have tried the search function on this web site...

Questions:
1) I want to grease the steering stem bearings (haven't done that yet). The service manual recommends special tools to get the bearings out. Do I really need these tools, or can I do it with other less-special stuff?
2) I have read several posts regarding greasing the swing-arm bearings. Should I do this on my new bike? I haven't done it yet and I'm worried that I might be causing problems by riding it without greasing those bearings.

Thanks for your help!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
You don't need any special tools. You only have to remove the steering stem bearings if you need to replace them. Clean them well with brake cleaner, blow out with clean compressed air, and pack with good grease. Search in this forum for for grease recommendations. I like Penzoil Marine Grease.

You should grease the swingarm bearings; this would have been easier to do at the time you regreased the rear linkage.

Do a search here - you will learn a lot! Good luck...

Top Bottom