shanejohnson

Apr 9, 2008
i'm looking for a bike for this summer that I can either convert or is already street legal. I will be doing some off roading.

1) your physical size 140 pounds and 5ft 8 inches 17 years old
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? more aggressive
3) what do you plan to ride- street, dirt
4) Do you have any riding experience? no
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes for sure
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I was thinking 4 because they would be better street wise (i think?) but no brand preference.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes I have all the major brands by me
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? 5,000$ or less would be great :bang:
10) Do you live in California?nope minnesota
11) Your age? 17 years old
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
I was looking at DR-Z400SM's but I dont know if that would be a good bike to start on or if it is too big or what.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
thanks

Last edited:

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
I don't think a pure supermoto is a good dirt bike. Maybe something to take on a fire road or dirt road but not so much trail, etc. If the type of off roading you will be doing is off the road I would suggest a dual purpose. I just went through this process myself.

I plan on doing more dirt than road so I bought the 08 Yamaha WR 250R. Have you looked into something like the KLX250S? http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=206

The 2009's are out and are $4,900 MSRP.

sensei

Apr 1, 2008
The only thing with the WR250R is the seat height is two inches higher than the KLX. I'm 5'7" and I could not touch both feet on the ground on the WR250R. I was about a half inch from touching on both sides. I took it from the dealer to another dealer that does suspension work for plenty of the local racers. They're going to modify the suspension and lower it about 2 inches. That still leaves me with over 8 inches of travel front and rear so I won't bottom out with the type of riding I'll be doing.

The WR also has a gripper seat so it wasn't easy to slide from side to side to balance on one foot. Dirt isn't a concern...I mainly lowered it for when I'm on the street.

I would suggest going to sit on the WR and see if you're ok at 5'8". It might be a little too high for street riding and a gripper seat. You can change the bike like I am to fit your needs but that doesn't normally come free...well shaving the seat comes pretty free but your bottom may not agree on street rides.

shanejohnson

Apr 9, 2008
Hmm yeah. looking at that bike it looks pretty good. only thing im worried about is my height.. but im sure i could get some people to help me rig it up . thanks for the replys!
i might go look at that bike at a dealer by my house see how it works.

Any other bike suggestions?

Apr 30, 2007
Where in Minnesota are you?

I'd say CRF250X...making them street legal here isn't too hard at all :cool:

Top Bottom