moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Ok - not sure how, but one amazing enduro and my pads are shot. Some new ones are coming via the magic truck today.

Anyway - these are bit different than the pads on my KTM (which take all of 1 minute to swap out).

Just looking at the brake design it looks as if I have to drop the wheel, and back out the allen screw oad hangers. Will the pads just fall out then? How abiut the front.

Any tips are appreciated. I know about the anti seize when patching it back together.

Dont ask about the Zink enduro - it was a monster.

sn

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
If they're anything like the '90 model, the fronts just pop right in and are held in place by anti gravity or some such thing. The rear, OTOH, are sunso'biotches. Good luck with the Allenhead pins---broke an easyout off in one of mine. If you can get the pins out, they'll go right in no fuss. Since my front pin is essentially stuck in place for the forseeable future, I had to do some minor filing on the "T" shaped part of the pads that fit around the pins in order to squeeze 'em in---but they're in and working fine. I recommend an impact driver with Allen sockets. Standard Allen wrenches just don't cut it.
Have fun!! :thumb:

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
one more thing---back out the pins before dropping the rear wheel. they're much easier to get out when everything is still held together tightly

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
moridin - what pads were you using? My experience with aggressive compound brake pads is they wear out ridiculously fast. You are lucky if you get one muddy enduro or two muddy trail rides out of a set. IMO, the stock Kawasaki pads are a good compromise of cost, wear, feel and effectiveness.

BTW, you should be able to replace your allen-head pins with 8mm hex heads. I think Moose makes them, others probably do, too. A little bit of anti-seize on the threads will aid removal later, no matter which pins you use.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Not sure if I goofed - but I am tired of taking my wheel off for the night (had some other sprocket chain probs).

Anyway - got the rear pads off and put the new ones back on.

On my stockers - there was this white piece of fiberglass that matched the size of the metal pad holder and a thin retaining aluminum holding it on.

I took those off the stock pad set and used them on my new oads - was this not wise?

I bolted everything up and after 2 pumps - then rear grabbed tight - however - the pads are gragging a tad. Not just dragging that you can hear - but I can feel a bit of resistance as if I was ever so slightly applying break pressure.

Is this a normal part of pad break in? My KTM pads nver grabbed on installation like this. I am starting to think maybe I should not have resued those pieces off the old pads...

sn

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
The white fiber glass things are there as a heat shield I think. Keep using them until they fall to bits and then throw them away. Not sure about the drag, I suspect it will go away shortly.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom