New chain Questions

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
I just bought a new o-ring chain and new sprockets, and was wondering, do I need to replace the plastic chain guides (behind the counter shaft and in the chain guard)? The new chain doesn't fit inside the grooves worn from the previous chain (non o-ring). Will this cause more wear on the new chain?

Thanks

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
No it won't cause more wear, it will damage your chain. My recomendation would be to pull the wiper/guide and guard. Take a die grinder or Dremel tool and grind it to fit your new chain. BTW, you do have a 520 chain right? This is the first I have heard of this problem. Moose95(My brother) replaced his stock chain with an O-Ring chain and didn't have any problems with the wiper or the guard.

Phillip

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by jaguar
Yeah, I still have the stock guards and it really wears down the pins on the master link a lot. (of my RK o-ring chain)

Just the master link? :think:

Sounds lile the link pins are too long, ergo the wrong link. Did you buy this from a dealer or off a website? If it was a dealer, unfortunatly to say I have seen a few underhanded things go on. Like pulling a ML for a favored customer and replace with a link from on hand stuff.

Just a thought.
Phillip

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: wearing down master link

Sorry. It just happens.

Happens with the OEM guide. Happens with the FRP guide. Don't know about a ...say Moose or other guide. Prolly.

Replace the clip once in awhile.

Probwum sawved!!

re: replacing the slipper

If there are grooves worn in it deep enough to either cause mistracking or rubbing on the side plates, replace it. I doubt that's a problem.

I run a 12T CS sprocket (makes slipper wear more), put on my first o-ring chain only AFTER the oem wore out..still used the same slipper! I have another in my 'box-o-parts', but haven't needed it.

HAVE replaced my link clip a couple of times...........

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
When I switched to an o-ring chain it didn't fit properly through the stock chain guide so I added washers to make it wider. This stopped the wear on the masterlink clip. Later I installed the FRP guide and the chain fit through much better with no rubbing on the ML clip.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
My 'happens with FRP' isn't from personal experience. It's from comments from other riders WITH the FRP guide. No indictment to be inferred or implied. It would be nice if it didn't happen...but if it does I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep over it.

If it suits you, it tickles me!;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…