New O-ring chain binds in stock KDX200 chainguide

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
Title says it all, but really it's just the master link that binds. The 200 came with a non-ring chain stock, so the channel in the chain guide is too narrow to allow the new o-ring master to freely pass. Should I take action (like what?) or just let the chain skive out a path from the acetal liner?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
shim the blocks and the top like some or by a moose/frp replacement wear blocks $10 they will fit in the stock plates but you will have to shim the plate at the top where they mount to match or buy the whole moose rear chain guide from the parts unlimited catolog and you will see an frp sticker on it when it comes in $30

o-ring chains are heavy and expensive.

I think mudpack had asked the same thing when he put one on

nope it was olehillbilly

there is a search this forum button at the top right of the page ...it comes in handy

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
sr5bidder said:
o-ring chains are heavy and expensive.
Yes, they certainly are.
They also absorb about 3X the power that a conventional chain absorbs.
Throw me into the group who prefers conventional chains. The only advantage of an O-ring chain is moot, in my opinion, since you still have to lube it(the rollers).

As to the OP's question: I'd just let the ML wear it's own clearance in the guide. Guides wear anyway.
Simple, cheap, and effective.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
IME the o-ring chains outlast the non-ring by a factor of ~3:1; this is a playbike so I bought the RMATV Primary Drive setup w/chain for ~$80.

I'm def of the mindset that the guide would wear in eventually; shimming is a good idea too. I guess I'll evaluate the actual amount of binding before I take action. Thanks for the input!

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I'm not sure shimming the guide is an answer. I had an issue with my master link contacting the chainguide when my bike was new.
I realized after close examination that any shimming would exacerbate the problem instead of curing it...you can only shim in one direction; the wrong one! (I'm assuming your ML hits where mine did...on the clip side...since the other side of the ML is no thicker than the rest of the chain).
You might be able bend the guide slightly.
(I just shimmed the rear wheel to the right 1mm; problem solved.)

Mud

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I like regular chains!
3:1 ehh well I can still buy 4 great quality regular chains for the price of one good quality o-ring chain... if you have found an o-ring chain and sprocket set for $80 then I bet the chain is crap and last maybe as long as an rk regular chain. don't buy chinesse junk....thats my moto

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
I have a little input on chain type...I have an '89 that had the chain and rear sprocket replaced 15 years ago, and they were replaced with a DID 520 O-Ring and a Renthal rear. And last year is when the chain really started to show signs of wear. So 15 years...ain't too bad. I am ordering the same setup this go around as well.

About the chain binding, I just let mine make its path. No problems out of it. Shimming the rear wheel seems like a good idea though. Good luck.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
About Chains

recently found out some chains although they have the RK name on them are of a different quality and are produced in china. with in 2 rides my buddy's ktm 525 and his 300lbs destroyed a 520 o-ring chain that had the RK lable and was sold at cycle gear.

Also Bought at cycle gear was my chain a standard heavy duty RK chain ....seems it has stretched and so much as to start wollering my rear sprocket teeth (renthal alum).

Moose steel rear sprocket and a different brand chain are next.

Bottom line I hate china and the crap they pull and hate when good companies sell the good name to the chinesse and let them destroy the quality you think you are getting.

Colman and leatherman are recent companies I've been very disopointed with purchased products.

MAGLITE is still produced in the USA but for how long?????

james.keaton

May 8, 2009
I had noticed that some of the boxes/packaging looked quite different on the RK chains when I was at cyclegear. It truly is sad to see stunts like that.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom