guggie

Mar 3, 2003
I am one for 2 strokes, but I have come to a conclusion. I ride trails now with my 03 kdx 200, but I want to ride trails and track this year. I don't want a 125 because with it all set up for race it won't be legal or a good trail bike. With the new thumpers I can ride it in the trails all set up for race an not have to do one thing to make it legal. Also the 250 thumpers are the new generation in 125 class and the minority are two strokes because they cant run with the thumpers very well. It's almost unfair. But I figure if you can't beat them join them. So I am buying an 04 thumper mx'er after winter for the new season. I don't know which one to get. I have been leaning towards the yz250f, but heard the rm-z was very snappy low end with a low center of gravity and handled very well in tight cutting tracks. This would be good for tight trails. But I heard the rm-z has a couple problems. Everytime you change the oil (every race for me) you have to drain the coolant, an that really sux. And I heard it runs really hot, and this wouldent be good for a 40 mile enduro. I had no desire for a crf for some reason (maybey because 230's left a slow impression on me) but it is becoming more and more appealing towards me. This is how the bikes go in order for me 1.yzf 2.rm-z 3. crf <very close w/ the rm-z, 4. kxf(almost the same as an rm-z I heard except a lil worse) I need some more thoughts and opinions from dirtbikers. Fill me in.

guggie

Mar 3, 2003
Anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Have any opinions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
Unfortunately I can't give you my opinions as I haven't ridden any of the 250 four-strokes but you might like to check out THIS thread.

I wouldn't advise discounting the CRF250 based on the 230, they are different beasts.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Quite honestly, you will find something you like and dislike about each of the 4-stroke 250's. BTW, the KFX and the RMZ are the same without the plastics. Not sure what your local dealer have but choose the one that gives you the best support.
Check out Service Honda, they have a good deal for DRN members. They will support you if you support them.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Any particular reason?

guggie

Mar 3, 2003
Yes bswift, The yzf has the best shocks, and I wont have enough money (this year) to rebuild them with all the other mods I need to do with it. I also LOVE yamaha quality, it is the best. Anything Yamaha that I buy is quality and never fails. Weather it is snowmobiles or streetbikes. I aslo like the overall power package of the yzf and where it hits the most, wich is good for trails that I will be riding, and good for small novice mx tracks I will be riding. The yzf has already been in the game longer thasn the other thumpers wich is definateley a plus, it has held its own since 99 and they keep perfecting the machine. I also don't like the fact that on the zuki's you need to put on a radiator cap to keep it from overheating (specially with 40 mile enduros) and the oil can't be changed without draining the coolant, unless you buy a 300$ cover wich is a joke. (Haven't they tested these bikes before they put them on the market? obviously not because if they did they would haver known within about 1-2 days of testing, "gee, I think I'll put on a larger radiator cap" and, "Maybey I'll put on a proper cover so maintenance can be done without hassle" ) who knows what other flaws this bike has. The crf? Yeah it is nice, but not what I want, soft shocks, and I have sat on one they felt aquard, and the power delivery is not exactly what I was looking for. YZ250f it is for me.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If theres not that much difference I'd look into a CRF250X(if your sure your done with the 2003 KDX:)). I've heard some people like their KDX's with KX forks al moded and everything but I sure it won't race like a real MXer. As for the 250X ask yourself which your doing more of, racing or trail riding. Also how serious are you racing.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
guggie said:
theres no competition in trail riding.

:ohmy: BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laugh: Oops, excuse me. :joke:

guggie. I second the motion on the CRF250.

guggie

Mar 3, 2003
In my situation, I'm not going to be racing in enduro. But trail riding can be very hardcore and competitive if you make it.

Top Bottom