New guy here. Would like some advice?

cowroy

Oct 22, 2009
Hi I have been riding the streets since 2002 and now I want to get dirty.
So my question is, for someone who has never been off road which yamaha would you suggest? I am 25 years old 6' tall and 190lbs. I want a 4stroke, something with plenty of power, but can still creep on the trails. There is a good logistical reason it has to be a yamaha. So watcha think? Oh and it needs to be budget priced, no brand new stuff.

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
With your limitations....

A) Used YZ450 (MX oriented, but good overall)

B) Used WR450 (Off-road oriented, but also good overall)

You could also consider a YZ250F, but you better look it over really well. The 250 4T need more frequent valve adjustments and top end service.
Buying someones beat up 4T will mean $$$ later. Look for a good one.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I own a YZ400F motocross bike and an XR 400, and I trail ride with both. I can tell you that a YZ250 or YZ450 is not an ideal trail bike. I bought mine with an oversized gas tank and I geared it down, but it doesnt have the wide range (WR) transmission and bigger radiators, etc that make the WR a superior trail bike. You cant beat the XR on the trail for low end power, but it is a snail compared to the YZ. With no experience on the dirt, I think a 450 is a LOT of power for you. I would recommend starting on a WR250...then upgrading later.

cowroy

Oct 22, 2009
I have heard it both ways now. So the decision is 250 or 450? I work with a guy that has had 13 dirtbikes the last of which was a tt500 how would it compare to a wr450. He told me that if i got a 250 I would always want more power. Well if I could only afford a Husqvarna 310 I could split it right down the middle :laugh: .

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I wouldnt buy a Husqvarna. They are difficult to find parts for. I live in a suburb of Dallas. I can buy parts for a Honda, Kawi, Yamaha, Sukuki (maybe even KTM) within 10-15 minutes of my house. I have to drive over an hour for Husqvarna parts. I bought and sold a TE250 a few months back...they dont hold their value. I have read horror stories about their reliability.

A TT 500 is an old school bike with outdated suspension and an "old generation" 4 stroke. That bike is a dinosaur compared to a WR450. My advise would be to spend some time learning about different bikes..on this site or elsewhere, then make a decision. I have been riding on and off for 26 years and my YZ400F is all of the power I need.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
So, let me get this straight...you are asking us if we know of a good book for beginners, but you are looking to buy a WR450? Again, a WR450 is not a beginners bike...with that being said, I am done here.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I would suggest a XR400, great for trails. Great for creeping along with the kids and also has pretty good speed.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
$1500 for a '05 WR450 is a good deal. Too good, something must be wrong.

As for your friend who likes the TT500: those bikes were made back in the late '70s. There is a lot of nostalgia associated with them and there are a lot of loyal fans but I sure wouldn't compare them with any modern bike.

Rod

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
Cowroy,

Where do you live? "I don't know" doesn't help. Why do people opt for IDK?
What kind of terrain will you be riding?

$1500 for an '05 WR450? My spidey sense is tingling.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Remember everyone, this guy has no dirt experience..only street. Whether the WR450 is a good deal or not really isnt the point in my opinion. A WR450 for a guy that is brand new to dirt is just begging for an ER visit. The sport is dangerous as it is...I dont want to be on the trail with some newbie on a WR450.

cowroy

Oct 22, 2009
motodr9 said:
Cowroy,

Where do you live? "I don't know" doesn't help. Why do people opt for IDK?
What kind of terrain will you be riding?

I live in East Tennessee so I will be looking to do stuff at Windrock, Royal Blue, and try to do some fire service road stuff.

I do think the wr450 is a little too much for me at this point. What is the difference in a tt and a wr? Or a link to some information.

cowroy

Oct 22, 2009
What do you guys think about something like a wr250r ds? If you have ridden one what do you think about the power and the EFI.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
You are correct...the WR450 is too much, that is a good start. The TT is an old generation design and it has less power. I would expect less maintenance on a TT. I think a WR250 is a good idea. EFI? How much are you planning on spending?

cowroy

Oct 22, 2009
Well it seems like opinions vary with dirt bikes like they do with everything else. I talked to a fellow today that told me to get a two stroke mx bike and just change the sprockets to make it more for the trails. My only other option of "brand" would be KTM. Would a KTM 250exc-f be a good starter.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
Cowroy

Dont get me wrong, many people ride MX bikes on the trail...especially 250's. The problem with gearing down a MX bike is that they have close range transmissions. Once you gear down an MX bike, your top end speed will decrease significantly. I know this because I ride a geared down MX bike. If I had it to do over, I would have bought a WR. The WR in WR250 stands for Wide Range...it is geared for the trail, a MX bike isnt. If you are riding only tight trails, this may be ok. If you want to run 65 miles an hour down a fire road, your geared down MX bike wont do it. My bike tops out around 50 miles per hour...but it will get there in a hurry. The water cooled 4 stroke trail bikes also have larger radiators to handle the low air flow at low trail riding speeds. Now you decide...

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
IMO the WR450 has a very friendly power delivery, making it just fine for a new rider. The bike won't jump-out-from-under you at the crack of the throttle, if you want speed just twist it more. The suspension is well dialed in as-is, and the WR has a dependable, well designed motor. Perfect for a guy your size IMO.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
I have never known a beginner of any age under 250 pounds to start on a 450. My friends are fairly athletic beginners...they have their hands full with my XR400. I cant imagine the threat they would pose to others and themselves on a new generation 450.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
In an effort to defend my opinion, please keep in mind that the YZ450 and the WR450 are very different animals.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
The 2008 WR450F is 42 HP..thats no slouch. I believe my YZ400F is around 44 and it has plenty of power for me. My XR400 is around 32 HP. I will take the conservative stance...one can always upgrade the bike after more experience. Some injuries last a lifetime.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
^^^ Your YZ has a much more abrupt delivery than ANY of the WR's... 400, 426, or 450. I'm a slow learner, but I'm learning... if I say "black" you'll say "white".
Done.

cowroy

Oct 22, 2009
I pretty sure I am going to go the conservative stance here, and the reason is because in the spring of this year I bought a 06 FZ1 and right now it has a Dyno confirmed 149 hp to the rear wheel. If I had it to do over I might have gotten something a little milder such as a triumph street triple to get used to that style of riding, and then upgraded. Don't get me wrong I love my FZ1 now, but it took a little more getting used to than i thought it would.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom