New KDX-200 this weekend unless you stop me quick!

sether

Aug 24, 2004
I am going to bite the bullet. New KDX-200 this weekend unless someone can convince me they are completely unusable in the Mojave desert (Cal City).

I want a low maintenance fun bike. No racing. I'll be riding with 45+ year olds on KLX-300s and CRF-250Xs mostly. I'm 46 and 200lbs. Sand a problem? Will this bike work? Or will I have to sell it at a loss and hang my head in shame every time a KTM 200 motors buy.

Opinions! Please. :bang:

Colorado Mike

Jun 28, 2004
I was in a similar situation last summer and I got a 220. I was really wanting the KTM 300, but it cost around $2500 more and they weren't really available. I'm 47 and ride with similar aged guys. We like the tight technical terrain, pretty slow speed stuff in the rocky mountains. The 220 is pretty decent there, I really like the soft suspension in the rocks. A few of my buds have stiff MX style bikes and they get bounced around in the boulders pretty bad. I have done some stuff to beef up the low to mid range. You're in a different world though. I would think in the desert the 200 would be better, and if you're closer to sea level, the bike would probably pull fairly well. I ride at around 10,000 feet, and my bike needs air bad (so do I). The only thing I regret in buying my 220 is that I didn't get a used one. I could have paid a lot less and gotten one a few years old that already had things I needed to put on it like a pipe, bash plate, and bar guards. I still think it's a great bike for the money, very forgiving, and you can get parts for it easily. I bet it would make a great playbike in the desert.

Mike.

mudpuddle

Feb 20, 2005
Do it, I did two weeks ago and bought a new 220, Ive been saying it for three years and would get ready to buy and backed out but I didn't this time and Im glad I did it, We don't get any younger and you never know when you won't be able to ride, It could be tomarrow? :)

layoutd

May 17, 2004
i agree with CO mike. the bike has not changed since the mid-90's, i would try and find a well kept used one that has all the cool mods already done. i did, and only paid 1700. i have added a couple of missing items, but it is a 98 and in great condition. save the cheese and buy a used one.

sether

Aug 24, 2004
Called every dealer within 75 miles of my house (L.A. area). 10 dealers 2 KDX-200's. Put down my Visa card deposit on a new 05 200. I pick it up tomorrow. :cool:

Christmas in February :ride:

No used ones for sale around here for months! Goin' new :)

yater

Nov 7, 2003
layoutd said:
i agree with CO mike. the bike has not changed since the mid-90's, i would try and find a well kept used one that has all the cool mods already done. i did, and only paid 1700. i have added a couple of missing items, but it is a 98 and in great condition. save the cheese and buy a used one.

Somebody's got to buy them new so we can snatch up the nice used ones!--J/K you'll love the bike--good move

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Congrats and you won't regret it :cool:

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? I'm located on the east coast and I am also negotiating for a new 2005 kdx200. One dealer gave me a price of $4,050 over the phone last week and this week when I called him back to offer $4,000 even, he said he didn't know if he could do it anymore because of a price increase :bang: :pissed: . I am waiting to hear back from him.

sether

Aug 24, 2004
dirtpoor said:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for it? I'm located on the east coast and I am also negotiating for a new 2005 kdx200. One dealer gave me a price of $4,050 over the phone last week and this week when I called him back to offer $4,000 even, he said he didn't know if he could do it anymore because of a price increase :bang: :pissed: . I am waiting to hear back from him.

I had the same problem. 2 months ago $4K out the door (OTD). Mine is now $4200 OTD. There was a price increase. Another problem here is availablity is limited. The Green/Red Sticker California Law keep people from buying KDX's because they are Red sticker (No Smog Approval). That means 6 to 8 months worth of riding in some areas. I live in the desert so not a problem for me. That means less sales at California dealerships so they don't stock many KDX's. One dealer told me the 2005 run is almost bought up and they have to wait for their 2006 allocation of bikes to get more. :( Used KDX's are rare here. People seem to buy them as a first bike, buy a different bike after they figure out what their niche is, and hold on to the KDX. Wonder why that is? Super Hunky still recommends this bike after all these years. Good enough for him is good enough for me I'm sure. Newer does not always mean better (design wise).

Last edited:

nrvs-nelly

Oct 25, 2003
We've got lots of KDX's for sale in my area. Most of them are 97-02 models for short money. You could probably scoop one up for under 2000 easy!
For some reason the KTM's are real hot around here now. Seems that a large majority of people I know are switching and it got me thinking for a while. I count stand the thought of dropping 6k on a bike:yikes: so i'll stick with the KDX for a while. :)

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
I'm located in Delaware so Mass. is just a little too far to drive for me. If I'm going to buy used, I want to be able to kick the tires and run it :ride: Even if I bought new or almost new, the shipping would eat the savings. The dealer called me back today, and sure enough, he can't do 4,050. He's now up to 4,150 even though the price increase on the 200 was only $50 :pissed: Guess I'll keep calling more dealers a little further away to see what they say. The same dang thing I'm sure :bang: Has anyone else bought a new 200 in the last few days? If so, what did you give?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom