BPJNT

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2001
I am the proud new owner of an 02 KDX 200 and was wondering about the break in period. While reading the manual it said for the first 12 miles or 1 hr to ride the bike w/ no hard acceleration and in 10 minute intervals then drain the coolant, remove cylinder head, cylinder/piston and inspect and on and on....can I do damage to my bike if I don't follow these guidelines.

How important is the break in period?

Thanks

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
No need to tear it down IMHO.

I never did. I suggest your do several heat/cool cycles. Start it up and let it run until it gets nice and warm, rap the throttle a few times to keep it running, but not holding it wide open. Let it cool completely until it feels cold. Then do that again. Next ride it gently for about 30 minutes and then let it cool down again. After that go ahead and ride it but try to get a full tank through it before revving it hard and holding it wide open. If after each ride it it cools that will help to contract the piston and rings io they they seat correctly and it will run for a long time-2000 miles!

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
If you never fall down you aren't riding hard enough Get well soon , those banged up ribs hurt a lot, I know from experience.:(

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Congrats on the new ride. You'll want to check out the new bike prep article on the JustKDX web page. Click on Tech tips then new bike prep.

Be sure you take an hour and grease those linkage bearings!

David

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom