dcg9381

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2004
Hi, guys.. Just joined the forum.

I've actually just purchased a 1997 KDX200 (locally) via e-b-a-y:
(item =2479565721, no links allowed here I guess!)

I'm relatively new to dirt bikes, but not to riding in general.
Reason for purchase? I've actually got a girlfriend who would love to learn to ride. The KDX is probably on the more agressive side for a beginning rider, as the only other thing she's ridden is a XR100. If she can learn throttle control on a 2-stroke, she'll be in great shape for riding on the street if that's where she wants to go. We'll see if she likes it - if not, it's big enough that it won't bore me!

My only other bike currently is a 95 ZX-11, which gets ridden quite a bit.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Please do check the link to CDave's site noted in the 'Every kdx rider should read...' thread stuck to the top of this forum.

There are a good number of maintenance checks that should be done on any 'just purchased' bike....even a brand new one off the showroom floor!

Have fun.

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
Ditto what CC said. My '98 had red dust for swingarm and pivot linkage bearings. Check to make sure they are greased well with water proof grease. Wheel bearings and steering head bearings need attention, too. This is a great bbs that has helped me immensely. Welcome!

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
If the pictures, and description of that bike are accurate you got a pretty good deal (provided theres no shipping or other hidden BS..)... it looks really clean, and has a few nice "extras" as well... I paid about that for an '02 with no extras at all, and that was a good price.... nice work...

check it over well before ridding it.... who knows what the last guy may have neglected...

dcg9381

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2004
Yea, I felt the price was good. The economy is crappy and it seems to be a buyers market for a lot of things. Especially toys.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I need to change the tranny oil today, but the bearings look like they are in great shape - at least the ones I can see. The bike had a major suspension overhaul in 2000 - Complete suspension replacement. Since then it's been ridden about 15-16 times total.

The bike is a *lot* of bike for a beginning rider. I'm still working on throttle control with the girlfriend. Go -> stop, using the back brake -> Go. Once we get that down, I'll start having her do turns.

I really like it, it's light enough that it hasn't thrown in in the ruts, but still has more than enough power. We'll see how the girlfriend does on it about a week from now, if we're still having trouble with throttle control I may pick up a 4-stroke for her and beat on this one myself..

Top Bottom