nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
I'm brand new to DRN, so I hope I'm doing this right. OK, I just bought my first KDX - it's a 2003 220 and I already love it. I've already done the Gnarly pipe and have some power reeds ordered. I've seen a lot of talk on the air box lid, but mine already has a large hole in it. Did they change this in 2003? Have there been any/many changes from the 2002 model? Any suggestions on frame/body guards? I'll eventually to the carb mod, but I would appreciate any other suggestions.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Check the link listed at the stickie on this forum..'every kdx rider should read...' to CDave's site.

He lists common hop-ups in a logical order, what to expect from them and such.

No, they didn't change it in '03. Someone took the snorkle off the lid already. The largest change in the 'H' model since its inception is BNG, meaning Bold New Graphics.

In other words, no.

Guards? E-line if you can find it (I don't think they make one for the kdx..not listed in rockymountain anyway) cuz they are tough and light. Works makes a bottom plate that works well. Devol makes frame guards, rotor guards and such. Check with FRP (fredette racing products) for guards, too.

Get some rad braces. NOT guards (as from devol) but the BRACES that will save your rads the first time you fall over. Heck...if the bike just TIPS over from putting the kickstand in the mud you'll likely smush a rad. They are $pendy, so take care of 'em!!

SET YOUR SAG!

GREASE THE SUSPENSION/SWINGARM/STEERING STEM!!

etc. etc. etc.

A dirtbike always has sumthin' that needs doin, and it usually co$t$ money!

btw...buying a 'gnarly' doesn't tell anyone anything. If you have a question regarding pipes, know what profile you have. Maybe the number that's stamped on the thing is even right! It could happen!!! -30 is a rev profile, -35 is a torque profile.

When you send your carb off to mr. ron, ask him to stick in one of his handily adjustable air screws.

They are so cool. Neat? Hot? _Itchin'! whatever.....

:)

Last edited:

nbro1218

Mar 12, 2004
Thanks for the info. I've been to Dave's site and have gotten a lot of good tips.

So since it hasn't changed, if I order basic stuff like braces, guards, graphics, sprockets, etc for a 2002 it should work for the 2003?

OK, so I need to order a pipe guard and rad braces first. The E-line pipe guard is pricey - is it really worth it or does anyone have another suggestion. I already have a skid plate... any suggestions on what else is really needed (fork guards, disk cover, frame guards, etc)?

Also, what kind of price can I expect to send off my carb to get it worked. Does mr. ron have a web site?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
FRP has pipe guards for both/either the -30 or the -35 FmF pipe.

Click here! to get there.

It just occurred to me that I didn't see a set of handguards in your list. You need summa those!! The 'lil flappers that come oem on the kdx are relatively worthless. FRP can set you up with a set of practically indestructible guards. **Note** the brush guards are NOT included!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom