rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
I just got the new bike in, and spent 20, quality miles with her this past Saturday. It is more than I expected! The power is so smooth and not intimidating. I haven't been this excited about a new bike in years. I will keep you guys updated, as I get more time on the bike. The 2000 GasGas XC250 may not be getting as much time out of the garage.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Nice bike.

Did yours come with an O-ring chain or a standard chain?

The ones I've seen have all had a standard chain which makes no since to me.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
what do you weigh? do you think the power is enough to let you pass in a short straight like enduro conditions? where in la. do you ride? forest hill, red dirt etc. really need all the details you have. thanks.

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
I currently weigh 218, w/o gear. My first outing was in the Bonnet Carre Spillway, near New Orleans. About the power.....
I am not a very aggresive rider, but I would have to say that the bike will do most anything you ask of it. Does it wheelie like my GasGas? No. I think in time I will develop the riding technique to do everything that I want it to do. Remember, it is a completely different power delivery. The stifled bark of this bike is also deceptive to use as a speed indicator. Bottom line? I think it is a serious motorcycle. I love it. Feel free to contact me with your questions robert@golangley.com

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Congratulations! I love my 400MXC. Acceeration is kinda like an electric motor on the 400. I just wish the good Lord had given me 3~4 more inches of height. My little toes don't touch the ground very well.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Congrats--I had the chance to ride Randy's (now Natalie's) 250RFS at Dirtweek. I really, really liked it but as I have been used to lighter bikes, the weight put me off a bit. The engine was perfect though.

Have fun!

Res Ipsa

Aug 20, 2002
I have to agree with rjl40. I think my 02 250 RFS is awesome. While I only have less than 50 miles on the bike, I can't wait for the SERA enduro at Perry Mt. in a few weeks. The only change I might make for that race is to go to a 12 on the countershaft. Otherwise, I can't wait!

saratogatc

Jul 22, 2002
I've had a 250 EXC RFS since May '02. I've got 900 miles on it now. It's a great bike at places like Foresthill in the Sierra's. It is underpowered though. It doesn't do that well on long, steep hillclimbs. It won't pull them in second gear which really sucks. If you ride it like a two stroke, high in the powerband it will carry some hills in 2nd or 3rd, but if you start losing RPM's you better down shift fast or your gonna be screwed I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket and added an FMF pipe. It helped a bit, but the spark arrester gets smashed by the brake caliper (orange crush). The guys at FMF should give me my money back on that piece of engineering. I can't imagine they didn't crush them in testing. All in all it's a good bike, but I can't wait until my 450 gets here. It's for sale right now and has hand guards and a shark fin. My email is saratogatc@yahoo.com if you have any questions about my experience with the bike. If trails is your thing it's a good choice. If hillclimbs and ripping it up in the desert is your thing get the 450 or 525.

saratogatc

Jul 22, 2002
If you look at a stock spark arrester it has a big recess on the bottom for the caliper to have room as you hit bottom, the FMF does not have this.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Okay, my first post in the kTm Forum - WooHOo!!!!

I rode Randy's kTm250 four stroke for less than 5 minutes at Dirtweek and knew I had to own that bike. My first bike was an XR 250, a great bike for me, but you can just imagine how much more I love the kTm. I rode it in the woods during the Poker Run and boy, THAT WAS FUN!!!

I'm absolutely 100% in love with this bike, I cannot wait to take it to Forrest Hill and Elkins Flat and see how differently it feels than my XR.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Remember Natalie, your (my ex) KTM 250 RFS isn't quite exactly stock either. But it is still a fun bike! Many people call the bike slow or whatever, but if you are in the woods it is true joy. Out in the open desert though, most seasoned riders would prefer a little more displacement. But where I ride locally in Louisiana, it was great!!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Natalie!

By the way, all the stock stuff and the paperwork will be in the mail in the morning.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Yes, parts and jetting. The P-38 lightning mod, timed the squirt, Power Now carb bell with a small Uni crankcase breather installed on the hose that vented back to the original carb bell, slight trimming of the air box, upped the main from 160 to 165, the clip in the #3 position and a full Doma Exhaust. The pipe made a big difference in the bike.

Still no monster off the bottom, but would go up anything I wanted. I miss the bike, it's just that Natalie seemed to like it so much and I needed another project I guess.

Other goodies included MX-Tech revalve front and rear with a 7.0 spring in the rear and 44s in the front and an Enduro Engineering clutch guard as well. I had also just put new M12 Michelins on the bike too.

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
motohead? where in LA are you?
I'm in Reserve, between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Where do you ride?
We are very limited locally.

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
Dang! I thought I would have a support icon, since I paid for it last Tuesday. What did I do wrong?

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Pick one from the list in your user CP.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Originally posted by motohead00
Yes, parts and jetting. The P-38 lightning mod, timed the squirt, Power Now carb bell with a small Uni crankcase breather installed on the hose that vented back to the original carb bell, slight trimming of the air box, upped the main from 160 to 165, the clip in the #3 position and a full Doma Exhaust. The pipe made a big difference in the bike.

Still no monster off the bottom, but would go up anything I wanted. I miss the bike, it's just that Natalie seemed to like it so much and I needed another project I guess.

Other goodies included MX-Tech revalve front and rear with a 7.0 spring in the rear and 44s in the front and an Enduro Engineering clutch guard as well. I had also just put new M12 Michelins on the bike too.

It also had that cute stealth rear sprocket, the bike was obviously well attended to and I had fantasies of keeping it after seeing it on my trailer on the way back from DW.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
I'M GLAD TO SEE THIS THREAD HERE!!

I've been drooling over these 250's at my local dealer. I need some advice, please! I'm 47, been riding forever, mosstly trails and easy MX . My weight is 145 on a good day, currently ride a DRZ250 with Yoshi pipe to make it run. How much better is the KTM 250 four stroke over the DRZ?? (The DRZ is similar to the XR250) I can get a 2002 or 2003 model. Which would you suggest?? Thanks for any comments, I don't want to jump off and buy a new bike unless it's a big improvement.

rjl40

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 5, 2001
I wish that I had the answers. I am not familiar with the DRZ at all. My circumstance was that I bought a GasGas XC250 without ever having ridden one. It is a super bike, just way too much for what I am wanting to do. Basically, a waste of fine machinery. I did what I could to slow it down, with a 10 oz flywheel weight. Still just alot to hang on to.
I know better than to buy a bike without at least talking to someone that has experience on it, but, after all I had read on the 250 exc r, I felt it was just the ticket for me. It is exactly what I want! I am so very impressed with it. I was told to consider the 400 for it's power, but I simply want a great trail bike, and that's what this 250 exc-r is for me.
I can't help but believe that it is faster than what the specs would indicate, because it hooks up so well. Very little is lost to excessive wheelspin. And yes I realize that wheelspin can be controlled to some degree by body positioning, etc. I just want to ride easy. It suits me fine for that purpose. I don't seem to tire so quickly on the KTM. I'll be glad to keep you posted as I get more time on this bike. You can e-mail me also if you like. Sure I'll still play with the Gas Gas, but not on long rides.
As for which year model to buy......... I was told today, the 03 will be yet another 2 or 3 months. I bought mine from Tim @ Fun Mart Center, Moline IL. He shipped it to me, and all was just as we had discussed, no surprises. Incidentally, he had the product in stock, and the best price. Good luck.

TMDirtDad

May 2, 2001
Thanks rjl40-
I was also told to consider the 400 for the extra power. My friend has one and I'm going to ride it soon. I'm just wondering if, with my light weight, the 250 would be adequate. All I really want is a high quality trail bike, but I do like to "twist it" and pick up the front end too!

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by rjl40
motohead? where in LA are you?
I'm in Reserve, between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Where do you ride?
We are very limited locally.

I am in Lafayette. We ride at Forest Hills, Cravens, Camp Livingston and Breezy Hill with the occasional trip to one of the local MX tracks.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by TMDirtDad
Thanks rjl40-
I was also told to consider the 400 for the extra power. My friend has one and I'm going to ride it soon. I'm just wondering if, with my light weight, the 250 would be adequate. All I really want is a high quality trail bike, but I do like to "twist it" and pick up the front end too!

I've got an 02 400MXC that I consider to be a great bike. I hover around 155 to 160 so we are similar. It revs like an electric motor. No snap, but it never seems to quit, pucker power takes over first (it will lift the front in though).

I am going to make the following changes following my experience at DW02. :)

Up the rear sprocket to 52T.
Carve a chunk out of the seat to lower the overall stance,
Look in to modifying the rear of the frame to lower it as well (gotta figure that out although I have seen it mentioned),
and I am considering a RevLoc clutch.

As you might gather, although I am 5'11", my waist is closer to the ground than average. I need to get it where I can get my feet to the ground comfortably.

Oh Randy - Once I am back on my feet, I'm gonna come looking for you. I haven't been to the delta area in many years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom