henkholland

Oct 26, 2000
just found this at: http://www.motograndprix.com/

Spanish firm, Factory Bike, is bringing its new Desert YR125 four-stroke model onto the market soon, and gives the customer the choice of two different engine types, in terms of characteristics. The manufacturer will make both an Enduro and Trail version of the bike, which are the same basic design, but which have a few peculiarities that make them more specific to their respective disciplines.

The Enduro model is equipped with a Franco Morini engine, and has a six-speed engine. It also has a front fork with much more travel than the Trail version, the latter of which includes a CB-Honda air-cooled engine with five-speed transmission. The size of the front and rear disc brakes as well as the rear wheel itself are all bigger on the Enduro machine. In fact, the Enduro bike is generally a larger machine than the Trail model, weighing in at 103 kilos whereas the Trail bike is unable to tip 100kg on the scales, and sits just one kilo under the hundred mark.

I did upload a picture in my picture gallery; have not found them on the internet yet.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
The 1st bike I ever raced was a '79 XL125 thumper but it wasn't as nice as that one. There are a ton of hop up parts that will probably fit that motor if it is close to the XR200 engine. I can't tell from a picture. My 125 motor was identical to the 200 except the bore and stroke. The cam and head were identical also.

http://www.factorybike.com/

Last edited:

henkholland

Oct 26, 2000
thanks fot the 'url', mgorman. Their site tells it's a Franco Morini 125 or a Honda 125 air cooled. See at 'Ver ficha' under the pic. It does not tell, but the more serious Morini model with 45 mm Marzocchi front also looks air cooled.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
That would be the perfect bike to ride back and forth to work! I wanted an SL125 Honda, but I'd much rather have that motor in that spanish chassis!

mgorman

May 8, 2000
My XL125 motor ran for years and thousands of miles and 3 harescrambles. I used to ride the freeway 40 miles to a shop called Dirt Works on the tank wfo one finger on the clutch drafting anything that passed just to stay above 60 mph. (finger on the clutch incase of engine grenading at speed).

Being nieve at the time the spark plug lasted so long that there was no center electrode anymore and the anjustable electrode was half missing. It ran on anything stronger than kerosene and would go over 100 miles on 1.5 gallons of gas on the road.

One time after a long 100 mile road ride while fireroading the back country it locked up pulling into the garage. The next day I tore it down to find out the cam chain adjuster wore in half and derailed the chain. I rebent the valve (something I won't do now) and put it back togather with a new adjuster. The engine still lives on in my frankenthumper. However it is aprt awaiting new case half and yes, new valves...

Those engines last forever and make great beginner bikes because they are geared low enough not to stall easily. I always wanted to put one of those motors in a '84 XR200 chasis and ride the 125 class just to do it. No time, no money.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom