new/low maintence/durable choice......

southsideone

Mar 26, 2007
im 24/yr old 5-9, 150 pds. i havent had a dirt bike since i was 15. (still ride cruisers) im looking for a (new) low maintence, durable bike. something that can take the occasional beating. wont be used for racing, weekend off-road pleasure only. most likely for plain trails, but as mentioned above, could take some punishment. must have some zip to it also. money not really a concearn. any sugg, thanx.

Last edited:

southsideone

Mar 26, 2007
sorry thought that was enough info, here

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'9" 150lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? somewhat
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?-plain trails mainly, some jumps
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes
5) Do you think you will race ? no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? whichever is smoother, more reliable, pleasurable, no jerky power
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? yes, probably everything mainstream
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? money is no concern
10) Do you live in California? no
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion- read first post

thx in advance

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
You asked for a low maintenence, durable bike. I would stick to the XR/CRF line. There is a reson these bikes still run after 30 years. An XR200 or 250 would be a good choice. Most manufacturers make "entry Level" trail bikes. Suziki's DRZ, Yamaha's TTR and Kawasaki's KLX models. The new models are the same tried and true technology, but packaged to look like their big brothers the MX bikes.

Go to the dealer and sit on a few models. Pick the one you are most comfortable on. Keep in mind most dealers have part-time high school kids assembling the bikes. The bars can be moved to suit your needs. The suspension is new and will sag a bit when broken in, so the bike won't be as tall. (maybe drop an inch or two)

What kind of bike did you ride when you were 15?

When I was getting back into riding, after a 10 year absence, I asked a buddy for advice. We used to ride and occationally race together in high school. Back then my bike was a 1987 CR250. I just wanted a trail biker to follow my son around. He told me I would be bored with the XR in a week and should go with an older MX bike, since that's what I was used to. He was right, I spent a year on a 1993 RM250 building my riding and maintenece skills. The bike was $700, so I wasn't out alot of money if I didn't stick with riding. After investing in cool gear, a few engine rebuilds, suspension rebuilds, I bought a 2003 RM250, which is now a RM265. I guess I'm sticking with it.

If you don't want to do much more to the bike than gassing it up and riding, a four stroke trail bike is for you.

Good luck, Steve.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom