*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Well it's that time... that only happens twice a year... I get 3 paychecks in 1 month! Yahoo!

So I'm finally going to replace these awful stock tires on the KTM with some new meats. I'm leaning toward some Dunlops, as I really like the 739's that came on the YZ and my dear depared DRZ. But I can't help to wonder if 755/756's or a combo would be better. I ride So Cal high desert and local spots that have the same type terrain - yeah there's hard pack, but it's usually under a lot of sand, silt, and loose rocks. Sometimes a lot of rocks. I do fine (in terms of turning and control) when things are pretty firm, but when things loosen up I start washing out.:scream: Soooo... I'm being too longwinded here...

Anyone have experience on thier Katoom in these conditions, running the 755/756 vs. the 739's or a combo?

Last edited:

motojunkie

Apr 25, 2001
I use Michelin MH2's on my 520sx, and have had great results. I ride mostly MX, but have used them in the AZ desert with great results - I'm expecting that it's similar terrain. The Michelins wear much better than Dunlops also, I've gotten almost 20 rides on the MH2's before replacement on the rear. I run them at 11.5psi and they work in all terrain. Good luck.

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
I agree, it's been my experience that Michelin's wear much better than Dunlop's. I can usually get a Michelin to last as long or longer than two Dunlop rears. You may want to consider looking at Michelin before you purchase.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
High desert racers tires of choice are Dunlop 755 front, Dunlop 739 (desert) rear. You will see this combo most often in our desert races series. I prefer M-12 rear. I am weening myself off of the M-12 front because of rock chunking. I do like the M-12 front better in sand when it is fresh (tall knobs), but it wears and chunks quickly. The 755 has an extremely hard case, so it rarely flats!

In sand the M-12 is a great tire. Take a look at how the nobs are placed and you will see why it work so well.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Metzlers

:) If you can find em, my desert tires of choice are Metzler Unicross front and either a Dunlop 739AT or 695AT rear.. I tried a 755/56 on the front, but IMO it has too low of a profile, hence I was constantly flatting.. Another good front is the Dunlop K139..
The 739 or 695 works well in most conditons, but if you ride in a lot of sand I'd look for a different model.. Try the Dunlop site as it has a lot of good tire application info there..

380ePete

Dec 27, 2000
1 vote for for Michelin S12 front/M12 rear combo. I have tried MANY combinations and this seems to work best for me in the desert. Wears well to!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
William- I put the M-12 on the front of the 360 before the Big Bear ride, and am very impressed with both it's wear characteristics and tractability. I just mounted a new IRC on the rear today, and will report back on that when I break it in.

Top Bottom