mj4trax

Dec 8, 2009
What is the consensus on tires to run on Michigan trails?

I'm fairly new to bikes in general, but last year when I bought my '03 RM250, it came with a Bridgestone M26 on the back and Dunlop 772 on the front. Those tires were fairly worn, but I still rode a few trips to the Michigan trails (Sandtown, Red Bridge, Tomahawk, etc.) and I liked them other than the 772 seemed to get thrown around when it came to roots. . . wet roots may as well have been ice.

Since then, I put a new set of 756's on the bike and they seem to be working better. The front digs in well in the sand and natural terrain, but they still seem to wash more across the roots than the stock front tires on my brother's RM.

For the rear tire, I actually don't feel like I was finding any more traction with the brand new 756 than I had with a WORN M26.

I seem to see a lot of bikes with Michelin S-12's on them. . . and my brother just bought a set of these to replace his stock meats. .. haven't taken them to Michigan yet but they look like they are at least going to grab in the sand exceptionally well.

Sorry for the long entry. .. but anyway, what are your experiences?

Last edited:

katoom125

Apr 25, 2004
S-12 is a good compromise IMO - perhaps not THE best for any particular conditions/terrain but it works quite well most places and unlike many other tires, is not bad anywhere - it also wears better than the Dunlops in my experience - for what that's worth.

mj4trax

Dec 8, 2009
I haven't been impressed with the wear characteristics on my Dunlops. .. at least not on the rear tire. The front seems to be holding up pretty well though.

We did get a chance to ride the bikes at the Badlands (Indiana) last weekend, and the S-12's seemed to be just a little more sure-footed everywhere than the 756's. . . but to be fair, it was comparing brand new S-12's to 756's with a rounded leading edge on the rears.

TJC510

Mi. Trail Riders
Oct 22, 2006
my new favorite tires are the Dunlop MX31. i can make those hook to anything. i was amazed in the snow, its like i had studs. the front wears really good, the rear, better than previous dunlops, but not as good as some other brands. ill be interested in how they work in the rocks, one place i havn't tried them yet.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
I run the S12 up front and the Mich MS3 in the rear. The S 12 rear was chunking too much for my tastes...great performance, just didn't last as long. The MS3 has given the same level of performance and lasts considerably longer. Same/similar outer lug pattern...stronger center knobs means less wear with comparable traction. Love my Michelins tho! :cool:

I've talked with guys who are running the Kendas....I just don't want to fix what ain't broke! ;)

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
S-12's

Note to YAM: they changed the tire in 09 and I have yet to "chunk" one - seams to last a really long time.

I actually like the stock Bridgstones on KTM's as well.

mj4trax

Dec 8, 2009
Thanks for the feedback guys! Sounds like I'll be getting a set of S-12's for my next tires!!

Top Bottom