new midrange tin-can sound???

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
I have had my KDX 200 for about a year now, I've gotten used to the "diesel" noises that my bike makes, but a new sound has been rearing its ugly head ever so often.Here goes.... it doesn't matter if the engine is hot or cold, when i hit mid-to-upper revs and sustain them (holding the rpm's steady) my bike makes this kinda tin-can rattling noise. It sounds like the radiator braces are loose. Nothing on the chassis of the bike is "loose". I am short of taking the bike to a dealer, but I don't want any "dirty" hands on my pride and joy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :nod:

est142

Dec 30, 2003
sounds like lean detonation to me. does it happen just after the power valve opens?? does it sound like tang tang tang tang tang? try one needle clip richer .

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Is it definately a RATTTLE(Something Loose) or a strange engine sound? Will not hurt to raise your needle one notch. The needle adjustment does affect the mixture throughout the entire rev range

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
I have a better description of the sound, a metal-to-metal vibrating , but it is not a deep sound, think of nails on a chalkboard, but metallic. When the engine has a load (pinning the throttle) it quits making the sound, like as soon as it "hits" the pipe, and smoothes out it quits also. It's sort of a harmonic-chassis-vibration. I'm clueless. I'm going to check ALL of the chassis mounting points for everthing AGAIN and see if there's anything I've missed. Thanks for all of your insight as well.

Waffle

Oct 19, 2004
Check ALL your pipe mounts. I had the front mount at the bottom of the engine loosen up a few times and the vibration there will make quite a racket.

rockers109

Oct 13, 2002
It sounds like it's just air pressure in the pipe. As the revs build your moving more air into the pipe some of that air gets sucked back into the cylinder, it creates more turbulance in the pipe it get's more of a tin can sound. Before you go messing with your carb check your jetting. Daves justKDX web site has a good jetting guide and so does Eric Gorr's site. Do you have the stock pipe on it or is it an after market?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Maybe some of the "screen" in the stock pipe has come unfastened from the outer shell and is vibrating against the shell to cause the noise. Just a thought--Cheers John

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I would pull the pipe off, use a flashlight to look in the exhaust port while manually operating the KIPS. I've had 2 occasions where one of the sub-port valves broke, leaving it to rattle in it's housing. Doesn't really affect the power, if you've never dialed in the jetting, IMHO.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
Wish I could tell you, I have a nosie myself that I have finally given up and just call it character. Its almost a knocking sound in the front wheel area. I have replaced bearings, spacers. taken the odemeter cable off, new shaft, new rotor and pads etc, etc. I guess its like a woman, I have to listen with one ear sometimes. I do think you need to do a total run down of the bike one day and hit everything with a socket or wrench.

91kx

Mar 6, 2004
I had something similar on my 500.It turned out to be the pipe flange vibrating against the cylinder. I fixed it with a new copper crush gasket ,new o-rings and a generous amount of hi-temp silicone.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom