Stock KDX200 chain guide for O-Ring chain?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I ordered a 110 link DID 520V Professional O-Ring chain for my '03 KDX200. The bike has stock 13/47 gearing.

Questions:

1. Will the stock chain guide be wide enough?
2. Do I need to put a spacer behind the countershaft sprocket?

BTW the chain was a pretty good deal I think. It was $53.95 plus $7.95 shipping. I shopped around and some prices were over $75.00 plus shipping!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The O-ring chain will fit the sprockets just fine, no shims required. It will fit tightly through the chain guide however. The guide is made of UHMW plastic and will conform to the shape of the new chain. Does it wear the chain prematurly, not in my opinion, but some might not agree. You'll wear the chain quicker by not keeping it clean.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks RV6junkie,

Maybe I should grind out some of the plastic so the chain isn't a tight fit. At least now I know it will work.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Don't worry. It will wear in before it wears out. UHMW plastic is tough, but not tougher than steel.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by RV6junkie
...UHMW plastic is tough, but not tougher than steel.

It depends on what you mean by "tougher". UHMW plastic is quite a bit tougher than carbon steel when it comes to the ability to withstand friction.

It also gets tougher as it is rubbed on.

I work with UHMW plastics of different grades from time to time. I once designed and built a hook set-up to lift bumpers at a Ford Motor Company plant. The original was made of steel and had to be changed out every six months or so due to wear. After implementing my new UHMW version of the hook, there never was any more changing of the hook assembly until the line was discontinued three years later. Many were skeptical at first...they are now believers in the wonder material.

I agree with RV6 on the wearing in thing...it will conform to the edges of the chain, but once it wears in the silouette, it will continue good service for you.
When it comes to withstanding hard edges, steel has an advantage. But with repetitive rubbing from a smooth surface, UHMW outshines steel.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It is hard stuff, but it doesn’t like the heat of friction (if you cut it with a cut-off wheel it actually melts in front of the disc). That is why it will conform to the shape of the chain.

And for those of you who are wondering, UHMW stands for Ultra High Molecular Weight.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A grinding wheel is actually cutting the plastic away, and creating the heat in the process.
If you lay a flat plate of steel on top of a continuously moving roller chain, the chain will eventually wear grooves in the steel plate. This will continue until the path is completely eaten away.
Lay the same flat plate made of UHMW on top of the chain and it will never wear. There won't even be evidence of the chain having been run under it accept for tiny scratch marks. And the UHMW will perform this way without any lubrication whatsoever.
To withstand friction is exactly what UHMW plastic was designed and is used for.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
It's hard enough to wear out (meaning wear the metal away) a couple/few of master link clips over the average life of a chain. Keep an eye on it. It will wear completely off the link if you don't pay attention to it.

My last chain (after three clips) I left the clip off, slotted the pins and 'riveted' the side plate on.

Check your rear lower guide block. If it's stock, it's likely worn out.

Why 110L? Just for the longer wheelbase? You may well run out of adjustment running a 110L on a 13/47 setup.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
The KDX220 comes stock with an O-ring chain yet the KDX200 and 220 are both supplied from the factory with the same chain guide so not to worry your new chain will certainly fit. Install your new o-ring chain and have fun.

David

Top Bottom